Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pc tech software

Custom Title Honors Liquid_Scope_99's Avatar

Default pc tech software

Hello guys i have started working on more family and friends pcs lately i was wondering what are some of you favorite software you use when troubleshooting pcs . thanks inadvace

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Re: pc tech software

Have a look on the front page - you'll have to scroll down a bit but there's an article on top 5 tools every tech should have - it'll be a good start for you...

On top of those, the online virus scanner at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ can be a useful tool too... There is another one I use too but I can't remember it lol - careful because a lot of online scanners are just marketing ploys - like Nortons - it'll come up with "There are 32 viruses - if you want to get rid of them, get out your wallet otherwise we'll happily leave you in the mess you're in!"

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Eset is a good online scanner, and Windows Live Once Care Safety scanner. Both free, both very good.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

hey +rep i usually just come straight here good point about checking front page yeah i like the eset scanner as well

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Geeksquad MRI.

like the Swedish Chef with a Screwdriver gntlkilr's Avatar

I keep a kit with the following:
    -one of those 24 CD Cases with Xp Home/Xp Pro, Vista Home Premium/Ultimate, Kubuntu, MS Office, Trinity Rescue Kit, Norton (latest), ERD Commander 2005, etc
    -Box of CAT 5/Cat 6
    -RJ-45s
    -Crimpers
    -Line runner
    -network tester (fluke - you can get one on ebay cheap)
    -Spare SATA and IDE HDD for emergencies
    -external 2.5" 80 Gb drive with the various tools/proggies that I use. Open Office, 7zip, firefox, etc.
    -netbook for wireless testing, driver downloads, etc.

Course, I do PC repair for a hobby/second job.

"Voltage is like a big lake of milk surrounded by giant chocolate chip cookies. But if the chocolate chip cookies happen to break, the milk coming out is your current."

Hey nice list man thanks

pc repair is what i do for a living. And by far the one thing that has made things the easiest is when me and a guy I work with compiled a boot CD that has Memtest on it, diags for every HDD manufacturer available, partition editors, Norton Ghost, password editor, plus all the programs we use in windows for virus removal, data recovery, little reg fixes or whatever, Norton and McAfee removal tools, etc. Having everything on one disk really helps alot, especially since we don't have to look around for different disks.

And for everything we don't use alot we keep on a external HDD for easy access.

I would also recommend UBCD. Has alot of great tools, is easily customizable, and being able to run scans that you need to run in Windows without actually booting to the HDD is great(esp when you got some of those nasty viruses that stop scanners from running.)

like the Swedish Chef with a Screwdriver gntlkilr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gramatton View Post
    pc repair is what i do for a living. And by far the one thing that has made things the easiest is when me and a guy I work with compiled a boot CD that has Memtest on it, diags for every HDD manufacturer available, partition editors, Norton Ghost, password editor, plus all the programs we use in windows for virus removal, data recovery, little reg fixes or whatever, Norton and McAfee removal tools, etc. Having everything on one disk really helps alot, especially since we don't have to look around for different disks.

And for everything we don't use alot we keep on a external HDD for easy access.

I would also recommend UBCD. Has alot of great tools, is easily customizable, and being able to run scans that you need to run in Windows without actually booting to the HDD is great(esp when you got some of those nasty viruses that stop scanners from running.)
    I agree withe the UBCD. Awesome tool. I need to get the latest version tho. Haven't updated in almost 6 months. LOL

"Voltage is like a big lake of milk surrounded by giant chocolate chip cookies. But if the chocolate chip cookies happen to break, the milk coming out is your current."

Thanks guys this really helps