Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recomended power supply for 2 gts 250's in sli?

Default recomended power supply for 2 gts 250's in sli?

need a PSU with 2 +12 Volt rails @ 30+ amps and can handle both cards a phenom 2 945 2 hdds two odd's some fans and a few cathodes, and if possible under $120 please help

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Re: recomended power supply for 2 gts 250's in sli?

I recommend the Kingwin Mach 1 1000-watt modular PSU:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7BBTkwCjCECjCE

Plenty of amperage and lots of connections. $190 + shipping.

I use the 800-watt version and have had zero problems running a Phenom II 940 and two HD4870 cards.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Not a bad PSU, but it's huge overkill. If you get a quality brand in the 600w+ range (Corsair, Antec, etc.) it should be fine. This Antec, at its current sale price, is a good deal and provides plenty of upgrade room; this Corsair is good too, to provide two examples.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyPlushroom View Post
    Not a bad PSU, but it's huge overkill. If you get a quality brand in the 600w+ range (Corsair, Antec, etc.) it should be fine. This Antec, at its current sale price, is a good deal and provides plenty of upgrade room; this Corsair is good too, to provide two examples.
    will that corsair be enough for everything though? i mean, i trust you guy's youve been doin this stuff longer than i have but 650 watts sounds a little to low is all

Quote Originally Posted by SPARTAN1630 View Post
    will that corsair be enough for everything though? i mean, i trust you guy's youve been doin this stuff longer than i have but 650 watts sounds a little to low is all
    Ye Olde PSU Calculator specifies a required 382w (Phenom II 945/two GTS250s/two average SATA HDDs/DVD-RW and DVD-ROM/four sticks o' DDR3/two cathodes/four LED 120mms/kitchen sink), but the basic version doesn't break it down by voltage. You'll be fine with a quality 650w, even with some slight overclocking.

I'm preparing to stick two 8800GTs (same core as the GTS250, not quite as powerful) in my rig (see "My System") under a 500-something-watt "650w" Cooler-Master-branded Seventeam. Will let you know how that goes when I get around to it.
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Ye Olde PSU Calculator specifies a required 382w (Phenom II 945/two GTS250s/two average SATA HDDs/DVD-RW and DVD-ROM/four sticks o' DDR3/two cathodes/four LED 120mms/kitchen sink), but the basic version doesn't break it down by voltage. You'll be fine with a quality 650w, even with some slight overclocking.

I'm preparing to stick two 8800GTs (same core as the GTS250, not quite as powerful) in my rig (see "My System") under a 500-something-watt "650w" Cooler-Master-branded Seventeam. Will let you know how that goes when I get around to it.
    alright but say i might change my mind about the 940 and just go for a 965?

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

I feel the need to throw out a truism I learned here on TBCS: "It's not overkill unless something dies from it."

(I wish I knew who to attribute that to!)
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    I feel the need to throw out a truism I learned here on TBCS: "It's not overkill unless something dies from it."

(I wish I knew who to attribute that to!)
    My GeminII and I agree with that statement.

Well, Mr. Spartan, 650's already more than you need - start around there, work your way up, and get what you can afford. Run it by here first to make sure it's a quality unit.

My GeminII and I agree with that statement.

Well, Mr. Spartan, 650's already more than you need - start around there, work your way up, and get what you can afford. Run it by here first to make sure it's a quality unit.
    okay how about this coolmax unit?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817159072

That one's just an overrated 600w PSU - seriously, walk away. I've seen probably half a dozen sites with reputable PSU reviews, and Jonny's is right up there. Trust him (and his associates).

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf, jonnyguru.com
    There you have it - except for that FQP3N90, the working components of the CUG-700B and CUG-950B are exactly identical. Don't pee on my head and tell me it's raining, Coolmax.
    If you can find it cheaper than most 600-650w units, it may be acceptable, but... just no.