View Poll Results: Which is better? Faster?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • USB

0 0%
  • Ethernet

9 100.00%

Thread: USB or Ethernet

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default USB or Ethernet

Hey all.

I'm looking to put another external into my home network but this one is for Movies only. Which would be better for streaming the videos wirelessly. If I HAVE to I could run an ethernet through the house. But that would just be a pain. Please vote and explain.

USB would be hooked up to my Desktop and shared to my PS3
    Ethernet would be, well, hooked up to the switch. (never used one)

Thanks!!
    -Fuga

Default Re: USB or Ethernet

ethernet is faster i do believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Ethernet is hands down faster. However, you mentioned USB and wireless. If I'm reading this right, then what you're planning on doing is hooking up an external drive to a computer which is hooked up to your network where you would stream the movies via wireless to your PS3. Right? If so, the wireless will be your bottleneck, but it's perfectly capable of streaming movies. They won't be HD, but you can stream them. If you're looking to do above 720, you'll definitely need to hardwire everything with cat6.

Here is the Pic of my network. Let me know what you recommend Sgt.

Everyone will tell you ethernet is better. yet when installing wires/wireless in a home speed cant always be the top factor as the hassle of installing it normally is top priority.

From your diagram what I would is simple. connect the PS3 to the wireless point as the PS3 has a wireless card built in, that is your connection sorted (easy) unless you can get that netowrk cable from up stairs to the playstation (hard installation)

The host,
    Either get a secondary Pc (media server) on the network or use your current computer upstairs to host the media.

Get your self tversity it is the best software to turn your computer into a media server and works extremely well with the PS3 and Xbox360 also it is very easy to use.

If you get the pro version (free to use, but domate if you like) you have internet access to things like hulu and BBC Iplayer and you can have a On Demand box.

That is everything I can think of for having a media network. I have mine running a PS3 and Xbox360 over wireless and a wired xbox360 so everything should work out OK
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

There is a compromise to be had - easier/slower than truly wired networking, but faster and more stable than wireless. Look into powerline networking - a couple of adapters will solve your problem - plug one in near your switch upstairs and one behind the tv/ps3 downstairs. It'll use your homes electrical cables as network cables and its really easy to do....

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

There are external drives that are capable of being plugged into your tv that can upscale (not sure of the correct terminology) to 1080i. They come with remotes and all that good fun stuff.
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzKillington View Post
    There are external drives that are capable of being plugged into your tv that can upscale (not sure of the correct terminology) to 1080i. They come with remotes and all that good fun stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    There is a compromise to be had - easier/slower than truly wired networking, but faster and more stable than wireless. Look into powerline networking - a couple of adapters will solve your problem - plug one in near your switch upstairs and one behind the tv/ps3 downstairs. It'll use your homes electrical cables as network cables and its really easy to do....

Links would be great fellas...