Thread: Raid SSD's

Fresh Paint

Default Raid SSD's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs

i was just wondering how much power you would need to run those bad boys also could you tell me how difficult this would be to do?also what raid version / config (i dont know what its called but is is raid 2 or raid 4 or whatever)

by the way I know how expensive this would be, im not going to do it my self im just curius

thanks in advance,
    + rep for help

:edit:found out they used two 1000W PSU's
    The UNIX philosophy basically involves giving you enough rope to
    hang yourself. And then a couple of feet more, just to be sure.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Raid SSD's

IIRC, they had all 24 drives in a massive RAID-0, which would give you the maximum performance. There is no reason on this or any other earth why they needed two 1000W PSUs; I'm sure they just wanted to have massive overkill. The SSDs themselves probably didn't pull more than a watt or so each.

As for price....yes, it would be ungodly expensive. If you really have this kind of money to throw around, I could use a new TV

Seriously though, with as many drives as they had, the bottleneck was probably either the PCIe bus (iirc they were using a PCIe controller) or the FSB, and honestly there is no reason whatsoever that you would ever need that kind of performance in a consumer system.

To answer your last (ok, first, but who's counting) question, it would be quite easy to set up. RAID-0 is about as easy to set up as RAID can get.

That would be a Raid Stripe or Raid 0, data is written across all drives at the same time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standar..._levels#RAID_0

How hard? Well, you'd need raid controllers capable of that number of drives, and obviously power for them all, and cabling would be a nightmare.

As far as the software install goes, not too hard. Create the RAID before you start your OS install, and then just do the rest as normal.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Yes that would be fast but also a really bad setup as if one drive dies you lose all your data
    Need a sig

If you look at the end text they publish that they had to remove one of the graphics cards from the SLI because it was drawing too much power and made the raid bios fail. Plus it was not possible to have all drives in the same raid so they split them up.

Plus when speed testing they removed the optical drives to achive the fastest thu put. Just reading that is very inpressive but I am positive they would of re configured the system every thime they stated a new test
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1

And welcome to what a datacenter uses.

That's actually RAIDs of RAID. A few RAID1s in RAID5 or whatever. Some cards can actually do that internally (you'd buy a car for some of their prices too) so a few could really smoke.

And yes, the two 1kw PSUs are necessary.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

I built a server with 4x10k rpm SCSI hdd's in RAID10 once. (Striped+mirrored)

That was an AD, Exchange, SQL, and File server for 100 users. Dual Xeons, 8gb ram.. good times. $7600 + software.

Ask Airbozo if you ever want to see REALLY big stuff.. clusters and such. He builds the biggest of the big.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    And yes, the two 1kw PSUs are necessary.
    I'm gonna have to call BS on that.

According to Samsung, their enterprise SSDs pull 0.41W each. Multiply that times 24, and you've only got 9.84W.

If you look at the diagram as 0:33 in the video, the only thing that one of the 1kW PSUs is being used for is the SSDs. No way in hell that is necessary. Even if they were 3.5" 15k SAS drives, that would be massive overkill.

Even for the rest of the system, going off what they show in the video, and the eXtreme PSU calculator, plus ~20%, you're gonna need a max of ~900W, so a single 1kW PSU would have been more than enough.

I know when I spec a server I go overboard on power so that it operates at less than 75% load, where most power supplies are most efficient. Granted, the SSDs don't take much power, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

BTW, the PSU calculators are often using really messed up numbers for power draw. There's a lot of stuff that they grossly over or underestimate.

After watching, yeah, it looks like they had two 1kw PSUs to hand and just used them. The main system probably needed it, the SSDs didn't. I do stand corrected.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08