Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: ioSafe Solo 500gb disaster proof external hard drive.

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Review: ioSafe Solo 500gb disaster proof external hard drive.

A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=391]Review: ioSafe Solo 500gb disaster proof external hard drive. [/drupal]

By Oneslowz28

As some of you know, I am a professional photographer. With that job comes the need for reliable and protected data storage. One of my selling points is archival of all photographs for 1 year for free and then offer additional archival time for a small fee. That makes me responsible for protecting the photographs that I am paid to archive. I have been searching the web for the perfect solution and I believe I have found it.

Default Re: Review: ioSafe Solo 500gb disaster proof external hard drive.

Looks good. Sometimes I wish I had important enough data to justify buying stuff like this...

How long can it be submerged in 1500 degree water? hehe.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Did you try the waterproof claims? I'd be interested to see that as well.

Good review though; props for actually testing the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    How long can it be submerged in 1500 degree water? hehe.
    Indefinitely, as you will never find 1500 degree water inside a gravity well ;p

The boiling temperature of water is 100C (212F), so as long as the heated water is inside a gravity well, once a given water molecule reaches 100C, it has enough energy to release from the liquid, and becomes steam. IIRC, this gets screwed up when you leave a gravity well, as in that environment the additional energy is held in by the surface tension of the water droplet until some external force breaks the surface tension...at which point it explodes into steam. I think there is a point where it will explode without external interaction, but iirc it's far beyond 100C.

What they could do though, is test it in 1500 degree steam..I think...I don't remember what the temp is at which water ionizes, but I'm pretty sure it's a long ways from there.

I will answer the questions tonight.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

If it's in an enclosed container, strong enough to withstand the force from the water, with no room for it to expand, you might be able to test that.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Hmm, you make a good point. That's basically what pressure-cookers are...though idk what the max temp an average pressure cooker can get up to.

EDIT: according to Wikipedia, the average pressure cooker can only sustain about 15 psi, for an increase to only 122C

Anodized

You can add soluble material to the water to increase the boiling point, like salt -- granted salt alone won't take the boiling point up too much higher.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

House fires can reach up to 1200F pretty easily, 500F isn't a very sufficient temperature to test at, nor is using strictly heat with no flame. I'd get a fire's permit if you need one, or wait for a better time, dig a hole, build a small bonfire and chuck the thing in there. Maybe head down to the rent-a-center and rent a heat monitoring device of some sort for some photographic evidence of the fires temperature.

We also need to know what its resistance to flooding is both in an off and on state. If my house is flooding while I'm not at home and my external "disaster proof" drive is on, won't the exposed circuitry cause some sort of damage? And what if I'm away and I can't get to my house for a few days time, will water eventually seep in or does it live up to its boast? Only one way to test it.

What about earthquakes and tornados and the such? What if my drive gets flung 200 feet through the air or if something comes smashing down onto it? This also needs to be tested, possibly with a sledge? If it can survive a few good blows with a sledge, I'm pretty sure it'll survive any kind of physical damage. Maybe drop it from a certain distance as well, to see if the mechanical drive survives such a fall/jolt.

You can't just slap a 5/5 rating on something that boasts certain things without actually testing those certain things. You're misleading people. How would you feel if someone bought the drive based on your review and the drive ended up not being up to par and because of that they lost all of their data? Not so good I'd imagine.

Not trying to be an ass or anything, just trying to stress the importance of accurate and thorough reviews not only since you represent this website but you are also telling people that this drive does everything its supposed to, even though you haven't really tested it very thoroughly at all.

Until the device has been sufficiently tested, I'd like to see a buyer beware of some sort or another in plain view of anyone who might chance across this review stating that you have only tested HEAT up to 500F. Sorry to cause trouble, but this is the way it needs to be in my honest opinion and I think people will agree with me.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I have tested this drive as I saw fit. If you think you can do better than by all means buy one and test it yourself. The drive claims it is fire proof to 1500f for 30 min or water proof @ 10 feet for 3 days. No where in the review or on the manufacturers site does it state that it is tornado, explosion, or earthquake proof. Where I live you can not just call and get a fire permit. We have things called redflag days. This means no burning what so ever and no exceptions. One of the local fire departments had to build a 1.3 million dollar training building because not even they could get burn permits from the forestry service to have controlled burns on abandon buildings. We have been under a redflag ban for the last year and there is no sign of it lifting any time soon. I was a volunteer firefighter for 4 almost 5 years and know how hot it can get in a house fire. I had to do a 900f burn in a training building before I got my certifications.

When the restrictions lift I will be more than happy to test the drive further. Your point about the power being on is moot because by the time flood waters were to reach the drive, the power would already have been killed by surges from other areas being knocked out.

To answer x88x's question. I would have further tested it in submersion but was advised
    by the manufacture while it is water proof at 10 feet for 3 days, it is not after it has been through a fire. I am sure that the sealing methods used on the bag begin to break down after heating and would let water enter. It is however still water proof to the little bit of water thatmight reach it from fire fighter hoses. That is water that will drain awayfairly quickly and not submerge the whole drive.

To further back the manufacturers claim here is another review where a firefighter subjects it to a full on car fire. http://www.geardiary.com/2009/08/04/...vive-this-if-i

My 1500 degree water comment was just a smart-assed joke...lol. Superheated water tests and/or the resulting physics discussions were not my intention. However, I think we should find out just how much the drive can take before it does die...and then photos of the carnage should be proudly displayed! Though it's probably got important data on it by now I'm guessing. (Do the companies require you guys to return the products after the review?)