Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why? O Why?

ATX Mental Case gamer_from_aust's Avatar

Default Why? O Why?

Why would they want to do this, first some russian or some scientest wanted to created a "bigbang". Now Nasa wants to shoot a rocket at the moon just to see if waters on it? Wat are you thoughts?, http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/image...ture_1391.html
    I hope he had a few beers to blame it on....

Picking up girls at a videogame store? sigh...... a gamer's dream

Default Re: Why? O Why?

It's extremely likely that there is a large quantity of ice at the south pole of the moon. A moonbase is conceivable if an automated robot can be sent to collect and refine. The ice also contains the ingredients for rocket fuel, so this could be a first step to getting a mission to Mars. A taxi ride and a refuel would be a lot less expensive than taking all the fuel to get out of Earth's gravity, to mars, and back to Earth. We need fueling stations on the moon and on Mars to make that trip probable.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Americans like to blow sh** up? lol - hell HUMANS like to blow sh** up

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

America has been trying to create a big bang for over 30 years now. Most recently CERN had been trying to get their LHC back online so we can finally do it.

DStilgar hit the nail on the head. Water on the moon means lots of things for us. It means we can drink it while living on the moon base, we can grow food inside the moon base, and we could refine it for the hydrogen and oxygen and build a refueling station. Its also cool to find stuff like water on other bodies in space.

If NASA and/or other agencies could get a moon base up and running smoothly they could open the doors to private tourists and make bank. After capitalizing on that they will have the funds for further projects. As for shooting a rocket at the moon?..meh, thousands of meteors bombard it every day...I don't think it will care.

I don't care so much about their 'bigbang' as long as they stop trying to make mini black holes....that's the only thing anyone should really worry about. One slip up there and it's game over for everybody. "Oh, I forgot to carry the one...sorry planet earth..."

We don't have to worry about tiny black holes. The particles that constantly enter our atmosphere create tiny black holes, each and every one. Extremely small black holes lack the mass to be self sustaining. They expand and evaporate quickly, and do even when they are around a lot of mass like the earth and sky.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Personally, I think the entire space program should be shelved, at least for the time being. It's like the decision-makers haven't looked around lately. We've got problems. Big ones. Right here on Earth. I have to wonder what kind of progress could be made on those problems (or just *one* of them, pick one) if the money and manpower we're spending on the space program were focused on the home planet. Don't get me wrong, I know there are benefits from the space program, obviously, but they are normally a long time coming, and there are a LOT of other very serious needs that are much more immediate. The people in power need to rethink their priorities.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    I don't care so much about their 'bigbang' as long as they stop trying to make mini black holes....that's the only thing anyone should really worry about. One slip up there and it's game over for everybody. "Oh, I forgot to carry the one...sorry planet earth..."
    Actually it's replicating the big bang that could conceivably cause the miniature black holes. That being said, the probability that they would actually be created is so astronomically small that there's really no reason to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    We don't have to worry about tiny black holes. The particles that constantly enter our atmosphere create tiny black holes, each and every one. Extremely small black holes lack the mass to be self sustaining. They expand and evaporate quickly, and do even when they are around a lot of mass like the earth and sky.
    ??Who did the what now??
    What phenomena is that?

Quote Originally Posted by gamer_from_aust View Post
    Why would they want to do this, first some russian or some scientest wanted to created a "bigbang". Now Nasa wants to shoot a rocket at the moon just to see if waters on it? Wat are you thoughts?, http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/image...ture_1391.html

Its probably been posted already but I thought I needed to say it because I was pretty disheveled when I read this.

Its not some, or one. Its many, and its called CERN. Trillions of dollars have been invested inorder to make it happen and I fully support it. We need discovery, we need development, we need to advance. We have been sitting without any "HUGE" breakthroughs for sometime and something needs to be done. I feel that either the rocket or this CERN operation is a brilliant idea; I also feel that if it were done in my lifetime it would be even cooler :p .
    It's like JFK announcing the moon mission. He had no expertise in space travel, and no way of knowing if it would work. He just announced "we're going to the moon" and then they made it happen because everyone was on the same page and working towards the same goal. If he had said "well, let's get some people in space, and we'll see how far out we can get, and if I find someone to make a rocket strong enough, we could possibly approach the moon's orbit and maybe land" it wouldn't have happened.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knowledgegranted View Post
    Its probably been posted already but I thought I needed to say it because I was pretty disheveled when I read this.

Its not some, or one. Its many, and its called CERN. Trillions of dollars have been invested inorder to make it happen and I fully support it. We need discovery, we need development, we need to advance. We have been sitting without any "HUGE" breakthroughs for sometime and something needs to be done. I feel that either the rocket or this CERN operation is a brilliant idea; I also feel that if it were done in my lifetime it would be even cooler :p .
    ++
    Agreed.