Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63

Thread: My Unnamed Theoretical Project

  1. #21
    Mentally Underclocked mDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,639

    Default Re: My Unnamed Theoretical Project

    Quote Originally Posted by Baraspitfire View Post
    It would be cool to have a larger tank around the outside, fill it with water (yes i know the complication there) and stick fish in it lol
    haha. Unfortunately, my landlord would have a fit if he ever found out I had a fish tank...having repairs done to my apartment occasionally would mean the repair guy would see it and could mention it to him. Also, I'm lazy and the fish would die due to neglect. For those reasons alone, I will not do this...but I think, if done correctly, something like that could look pretty good.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

  2. #22
    baaah. billygoat333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    3,322

    Default Re: My Unnamed Theoretical Project

    wonder if goldfish would be hardy enough to live under the mineral oil in the same tank? lol those things would live in anything.

  3. #23

    Default Re: My Unnamed Theoretical Project

    correct me if im wrong but i don't think that mineral oil contains oxygen, so is unable to sustain life, and i don't think id want fish getting caught up in the fans, otherwise there could be some nice red looking liquid in the case...

  4. #24
    Mentally Underclocked mDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,639

    Default Re: My Unnamed Theoretical Project

    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat333 View Post
    wonder if goldfish would be hardy enough to live under the mineral oil in the same tank? lol those things would live in anything.
    Don't ask how I know...
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

  5. #25

    Default Re: My Unnamed Theoretical Project

    Nice designs, I was thinking of building one of these myself, but I never thought of using rads to cool the oil; I thought the pump wouldn't be able to handle the density of the mineral oil and burn out well before it's time... I do have a thought for you, it may make it more complicated but here it goes:

    It might be possible to mount the disc drive and a hard drive making it "appear" to be submerged... If you can understand what I mean... basically build a small dual-bay 5.25 inch cube out of the stuff you're building the case out of, leaving the front and back opened to mount the disc drive and hard drive. Find a way to make a sort of a sata hot-swap system to install on the back of the cube and seal it good. Then cut a hole large enough in one of the sides of the case and mount the dual-bay cube on the inside of the case, over the hole, with the hot-swap sata rig positioned towards the inside of the case. Then seal that part good and you have yourself an external-internal Drive mount...

    BTW I thought of this in like 2 minutes, so I'm sorry if the idea doesn't work out or it's a bit hard to follow through...

  6. #26
    Mentally Underclocked mDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,639

    Default Re: My Unnamed Theoretical Project

    Quote Originally Posted by MrNintend0
    Nice designs, I was thinking of building one of these myself, but I never thought of using rads to cool the oil; I thought the pump wouldn't be able to handle the density of the mineral oil and burn out well before it's time...
    Thanks. I didn't think a pump could handle it either to be honest, but others have had good luck pumping oil so if I don't I'll just blame them!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNintend0
    It might be possible to mount the disc drive and a hard drive making it "appear" to be submerged... If you can understand what I mean... basically build a small dual-bay 5.25 inch cube out of the stuff you're building the case out of, leaving the front and back opened to mount the disc drive and hard drive. Find a way to make a sort of a sata hot-swap system to install on the back of the cube and seal it good. Then cut a hole large enough in one of the sides of the case and mount the dual-bay cube on the inside of the case, over the hole, with the hot-swap sata rig positioned towards the inside of the case. Then seal that part good and you have yourself an external-internal Drive mount...

    BTW I thought of this in like 2 minutes, so I'm sorry if the idea doesn't work out or it's a bit hard to follow through...
    I follow ya. Thanks for the input. I'm considering it, but I may just keep a simple box for the tank to minimize the amount of gluing/sealing work to be done. The seals are the weakest points and I really don't need oil all over my stuff...and I'll bet the tenants below me don't either! I did try to come up with ways to actually submerge them, but it got complicated really fast, and that's when stuff goes wrong for me. As it is, I'm worried about simply gluing acrylic sheets together and then sealing the seam. I'm looking into getting a router to make sort of a tongue-and-groove seam for strength and more surface area for the glue. I really don't want to have to put some metal reinforcing brackets on the acrylic tank, but I also don't want to be evicted for creating a huge mess...
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

  7. #27

    Default Re: My Unnamed Theoretical Project

    Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    As it is, I'm worried about simply gluing acrylic sheets together and then sealing the seam. I'm looking into getting a router to make sort of a tongue-and-groove seam for strength and more surface area for the glue. I really don't want to have to put some metal reinforcing brackets on the acrylic tank, but I also don't want to be evicted for creating a huge mess...
    I hear ya... If you're wanting a good sealer, try Marine GOOP Glue, the stuff takes like 24 hours to fully cure, but it's well worth it :]

  8. #28
    ATX Mental Case
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    106

    Default Re: My Unnamed Theoretical Project

    Anything happen with this idea?

  9. #29
    Mentally Underclocked mDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,639

    Default Re: My Unnamed Theoretical Project

    Quote Originally Posted by madd0ct0r View Post
    Anything happen with this idea?
    Slowly but surely...I really want to get it right on the first take. I've changed stuff around so many times...then changed it back. lol
    I'm also unsure of if I want to get a new system to drop in it or just keep my current system and upgrade the graphics card(s).
    I did buy some acrylic and polycarbonate to experiment with. The acrylic seemed to be much stiffer, which I like. It also doesn't yellow over time from UV. I'm currently experimenting with different glue options. I've seen acrylic glued at 90 degrees perpendicular with no visible seam. It looked like it was cast that way which is what I've been trying to figure out. I figured they just sanded the cut edge and polished it before gluing it, but there seems to be more to it than that. I'll see if I can find the pics of what I mean.

    Anyone that has worked with acrylic is welcome to pitch ideas or make suggestions!
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

  10. #30
    Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    MD, USA
    Posts
    6,224

    Default Re: My Unnamed Theoretical Project

    I think you'd get the most performance boost for your money by upgrading just your CPU and RAM (in addition to the GPU). Drop in a Q9550 and another 4GB of RAM... The only real reason I would recommend replacing it with a Phenom II x4 or i7 system would be if you really need the extra RAM performance. Otherwise, save the money and spend it on the case.

    Or, you could always just wait for the i9 or Phenom III (or whatever AMD is gonna call it).
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •