Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My Unnamed Theoretical Project

Default Re: My Unnamed Theoretical Project

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    For power tools in the apartment, I've found that working in the bathroom works well for me. ...just don't do it at, like, 3am. Of course, my case is helped by the building being older and all-brick construction...and having a wiring closet for a neighbor.
    I have neighbors above, below and to the side with thin walls unfortunately. I get 3 noise complaints before eviction and I've already burned one of them. I'd better save the other 2 since I don't live alone.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Ouch...yeah... One of the reasons I am really happy that I'm moving soon.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

I'd have to look it up but there was a place where I live that was an "open learning center"
    with 2 giant robots outside so you knew where it was at, anyway it was run by some M.I.T. guys or drop outs that were a little too eccentric for my tastes but they had workspace open for people to do projects, tools and a lot of know how in engineering, mechanical, electric and just about everything you could think of and if you live in a large enough city there might be one open for you. I tried looking it up to get more info for you but it's been so long since I've been to that place I probably couldn't find it again and I can't remember exactly what the place is called so I could google it!
    I'm running a little slow, probably from hunger and subway sounds REALLY GOOD right now!

I hadn't thought of that, but yeah, that could be a solution for working on it/experimenting. mDust, check this site for a hackerspace near you. They're basically what T_S was describing, though the tools/space/etc available of course will vary depending on the place. I keep meaning to get up with one near me, but..well, it just never happens...
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/NEST
    There was hope but unfortunately it fell through!

There is this one in Kalamzoo. Kinda close.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Wow. I had no idea that such things existed. Thanks to both of you for the links. + rep to both!

Fresh Paint

man that just looks awesome! how about some heat lamps in the bottom of the outside perspects and throw in some wax, like a lava lamp mate that would be wicked..

Quote Originally Posted by onaid View Post
    man that just looks awesome! how about some heat lamps in the bottom of the outside perspects and throw in some wax, like a lava lamp mate that would be wicked..
    haha. it would look wicked, but it has to cool the computer, not heat it. I have been looking at various materials and their density, viscosity, thermal and electrical conductivity, etc, etc in an effort to make an effect similar to what you're thinking. I've got nothing but planning time since I don't have a workshop where I can actually build things...yet... I'm working on that though. At least with all the time I've had to think this thing through and design, re-design, and re-re-design each and every part, it should be built quite quickly and smoothly.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Is there gonna be a worklog or what?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440