Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Project Cavalier. 56k be warned.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Re: Project Cavalier. 56k be warned.

Haha. I found the problem with my SATA Drive... It didn't have power. I'll elaborate:

I have these two molex splitters that came with two of my ATi Cards (My current one, the ATi Radeon X800SE, and my dad's, the ATi Radeon X800XL). I usually use one for the HD's, another for the Videocard and Lighting. This time, I split the power differently, I made it one for Videocard and one HD, the other for Lighting and one HD. As you all read, I took out most of the lighting and re-did the power scheme. I noticed that there were two unconnected molexes, so I connected them (one was male, the other female). So when I pulled out the power from the SATA drive, I had a molex splitter with a loop and another molex connecter. D'oh.

Update on the cathodes: The UV cathode inverter was fine! I figured since one tube wasn't working and the other was brighter than usual it'd be ****ed up, but I unplugged the bad one and the remaining one lit up all the way. Then I plugged in a working blue cathode to illuminate the side of my drive bays. The UV cathode is next to my motherboard behind all the cables so they're UV Backlit and alot of the ports on the right side of my mobo are quite prominent. It's lit well and well lit. I also added a switch to the Lazer LED's, to turn them on or off for effect.

Pictures later. I think this is the best Cavalier has looked.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    So, it's 11:28 PM and I still haven't sorted out all the problems that arose from such a single thing -- but here's a recap

I dismanteled my PC, Antistatic bags and all. Re-did the THC on my CPU.
    I cut the hole.
    I cleaned the case.
    I went to dinner.
    I got back from dinner.
    I cleaned the case better.
    I re-assembled the system
    I finished re-assembly.
    One of my CCFL Inverters was shorting, causing my PSU to automatically shut the whole rig down.
    I figured that out.
    I took out all my CCFL's.
    Computer boots up and plays nice, now.
    SATA Hard drive fails to respond -- I'll fix that later -- It's probably just something stupid like I didn't plug it into the right port =/
    belive you me i love taking apart/rebuilding/changing around stuff in my pc but every time i do it something doesnt work a couple of tips as to stuff i found give me problems if they are messed w/:
    1. like u said those frickin ccfl inverters i jus lost 3 bubls in an attempt to sleeve them

2. another/molex splitters (my dad has so much parts and he had givin me 2 hughmongus full 5-1/4 inch 1.8 gig scsi drives they had there own external enclouse (also weigh about 8 pounds each) and to me they were relics. you may think why the heck would i want 2 1.8 gig scsi drives, well i didnt want the drives i wanted the psus from them bc they had molex connecter and it basicly could make a dual dvd drive enclouser via ide to usb adapters or i could use it as raid 0 instead i used them as external psus for testing stuff that i made for my pc (lil led circuts running off 12v etc.) meanwhile one my small one there was one molex i then split it with two splitters and like you did looped it and fryed my small enclouser. i still have the big one but always check your work went it comes to psu
    3. hdds and magnets on onboard speakers dont play nice!
    this one is pretty self explanitory, if u want ill elaborate
    4.never work when tired
    i fried my old socket A mobo by putting it in w/o the lil gold posts man was i being dumb

well thanks for listiening to me
    ben
    check out my pc on youtube
    sorry for the lack of a decent video it was late

wow my sig sucks.. ha

Thanks for the advice, But hell, I don't know how many computers I've dis-assembeled and re-assembeled and fixed hardware problems and so forth. I'm much more of a hardware geek than I am a software one, and it pleases me greatly to tinker around in my case. I'm also usually pretty careful when working with sensitive components, like even if I know I don't have to worry I will, just how I am.

My computer isn't always picky, though. It's just that if I mess up the configuration of IDE channels or PCI cards or something else minuscule like that, I get BSOD's for a week before I can figure out what the **** to do, then after I switch it back the day after I start getting BSOD's, it bitches at me more. Luckily, this time, I didn't have to go through that because SATA is hot-swappable and I only have one PCI card that I put in the right slot agian (not like it's hard, bottom PCI slot).

EDIT:

Rofl, good job on frying that Socket A. I work when I'm tired all the time, though. Yesterday, what was supposed to be up to three hours of disassembly, metal work, then reassembly, turned out to be 7 hours (4PM to 11PM), with the reassembly and troubleshooting at the end. I actually thought that my system crashes were my videocard's fault (until I removed my CCFL inverter, then it worked, but before I got a long-short-short beep code which is no video).

But, Lo and behold, it works.

I need a new rear 120mm fan, the LED's in this one are dying D=

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    there is that.

i plan on painting the opposite side with the ATi and AMD logos, and getting a new (and completely clear) plexi window.
    WTF?? its all about Intel and Nvidia!

nice case though it looks nice and smooth
    "We did not choose to become robots. There was an accident in our studio. We were working on our sampler, and at exactly 9:09 a.m. on September 9, 1999, it exploded. When we regained consciousness, we discovered that we had become robots."
    -Daft Punk

UPDATE MOFOS!

Just installed my MSI Neo5, Intel C2D E4500 Allendale, eVGA 7800GT, 2GB of PNY DDR2 RAM and other stuff (old hd's, psu, etc)

Installing windows right now, I'll post from the machine once it's up and get pics once I find my camera.

Posting from the new pooter

it's nice

very nice

also quite loud (that's the 7800, sounds like a leafblower)

Bump and lock, this computer's no more. It's sitting in my closet, iirc.