Thread: building a new rig, i got some questions

Default building a new rig, i got some questions

Okay so here it goes i am building a new rig so far i have a ABIT uguru mobo, with a pentium 4 3.0ghz i used my old hardrive and cd roms.... now i booted up and realized I HAVE NO VIDEO!! so i am still waiting for that but this is the problem.... when i booted it up i can watch the POST sequence though the CMOS diode display i have it gives me a few numbers... and when there is a problem it gives me the error code.... well i got one that looks like E0.... this may mean nothing to you but this is what the the books (this is also say the code is 0E ) test F000h segment shadow to see whether or not it is R/W-able or not. If test fails, keep beeping the speaker.

so i dont know what that means... should i get a new harddrive, should i bring back the mobo, should i just through off the second story, what should i do i need help!!!

Default Re: building a new rig, i got some questions

Umm...if i had to hazard a guess, it's searching for a device that it has Read and write permissions for, then looking to boot them up. If you've just changed mobos there's a pretty decent chance windows is going to throw a tantrum, and booting windows won't work till you re-install. Just wait for your video card to arrive. It might also be looking for Reading and writting to video memory.

Wait for your video card to arrive, set it up, then post again and tell us. Windows is most likely going to need re-installed. Tells us if it fixes your problem.

--Dave

EDIT: f000h is a memory address. So on re-thought, it's probably looking for video memory or RAM, as the size of the address suggests there isn't much in total. You did remember RAM, right?

well no not yet i have to get paid again so right now i am just waiting for the pay check to come in and then i am going to get more parts....

Quote Originally Posted by justleftlife
    well no not yet i have to get paid again so right now i am just waiting for the pay check to come in and then i am going to get more parts....
    If you mean you havn't got RAM yet then that's definately the problem. If you mean you havn't got a video card yet then let me know when you get one in.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

its videocard or ram. go borrow a stick of ram from a buddie and trouble shoot your system

well i have a vary limited budget so i am getting everything slowly but i am planning on getting mushkin ram and the nvidia 5900 gfx card

As long as you have a decent warranty on your parts, waiting won't be a problem :|

-Dave
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!