Thread: Amiga Walker Case?

Fresh Paint

Default Amiga Walker Case?

Way back in 1996 I was a big Amiga fan (still am) and there was a new Amiga announced, the Amiga Walker, I don't know why, but every since I saw the Amiga Walker design I always wanted it,

(I know what your going to say, just go and buy a hoover, right?). Recently I been thinking about doing my own computer mod and basing it on the Amiga Walker, but I have never done anything like this before and I realise that I've not picked the most easiest design so any one have any idea, tips, and site that could help, with making the case that would be great.

lucky Full details of the prototype are here, including sizes and deigns
    http://www.blachford.info/computer/walker/walker.html

I petty sure I could make the bottom half and the inside shell out of wood.

Its mainly the top case (fibre glass? never used it, paper mache? I know it sounds daft but no heat would be getting to it and I have seen some incredible stuff made with that and it can be made to look like metal, or something else).

I dont know if i would put a Sam440ep (that a Amiga motherboard that runs AmigaOS4.1 yes it is still going!) or PC mini motherboard in it, and make it a media station first I want to see if it would be possible to make such a case, and then worry about whats going into it.

So any help would be great. Thanks

Default Re: Amiga Walker Case?

Welcome to TBCS!

I dont know much about the Amiga's, that might make an interesting post actually! You should write up a post about them.

As for construction of this, you might be over thinking it. Looking at it from straight on, the profile doesnt look that difficult. I'd start by building a cardboard template, and then repeating it from each side to get the profiles right.

Ideally, plastic could be used to build the initial frame "struts" (hardiboard? I think that's what its called.. someone else can weigh in on this..).

Talk to Acey about Paper Mache cases.. he's done some AMAZING stuff with it.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

you could make every faceplate of alu (no too thick) separately. And then join all together using fixings in the inner angles.

nice and strange case.

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

You could do the whole thing out of Sintra (expanded PVC board). I'd use 2-3mm Sintra, In 4 peices Front, Right/ left side, and top-back....
    You use PVC cement to chem weld the joints (I'd reinforce the joints with strips that were beveled) .

the side and back curve is gradual enough that you should be able to do it with out any heat (a hair drier, or heat gun on low would make it easier).

You can get sintra at the local sign shop or there are several online vendors.
    Sintra is a trade name for the expanded PVC board , it maybe called Gator board, ePVC board... It's easy to work with it cuts with a razor blade (or wood working saw) and stands up to allot of abuse.

When doing joints, leave one side a little long, that way you can sand it down to a perfect fit after the cement dries.

Less messy then Fiberglass (my 3rd choice) and cheaper then metal (my second choice) ...

Good luck, If you've got an Q's on Sintra let me know, I know it's come up here several times so if you do a search there are some good threads on it out there... but I'll try and fill in any gaps if you have them.

I love this design!!! scale it up use a Micro ATX board (think Shuttle) and it would be a sweet LAN rig... or keep it this size and use one of the new Mini-ITX boards that supports PCIE, and quad core CPU!

CBB

Fresh Paint

Thanks all, I going to make a cardboard version first to get the right scale and better understand the shape and sizes I will need. let you know how that goes, hope to get the time to do it this week.

That sintra pvc looks very interesting, found a youtube vid that made it look very easy to work with. Do you know where to get it from in the uk? Had a quick look online but only found US retailers. Unless Foam PVC is it? thanks.

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

I don't know of any in the UK right off the top of me head, but I know a few chaps there have used it and posted here about it.... First up I'd give the local sign shops a ring, see if any have some scraps (could be called drops) that they would sell you cheap (or give you).. play with it see if you like it, then Talk with them about buying more .... some shops ave a policy against selling here ... but a bit of sweet talking, and they may do it, or at least give you the name of the supplier...The larger suppliers here have a minimum of $100 order... but that's about two 4'x8' (1.22M X 2.44M)sheets of 2mm Sintra.
    Sintra is PVC foam board, PVC foam core board....the outerlayers (front and back) are solid PVC the core is Expanded PVC... It's not as expanded as say a foam cup....but more then solid PVC.... and the layers are too thin to really see with the naked eye but there there....

Maybe one of the UK crew can chime in on an in country supplier (I can help you with US ones but not across the pond )

Good luck! and the cardboard template... is a very good Idea!!

Oh, and make sure to post a worklog of this bad boy! (stick a link here if you already started one!) I want to follow this build!

I still can get over the look of that case....1996, Amiga was 8-9 years ahead in style!!

CBB

Fresh Paint

I unexpectedly had a hour free today, so decided to give my walker design
    a very quick go.

first did some print out of the designs to scale, my case will be its a little smaller than the real walker size, as its a bit bigger than the pictures make it look, specially the depth of the device, AF DVD case to give you a general idea of the size.

found a perfect shape box

an here it is, I call it WWBL "Walker with Broken legs"

Please note I did only spend around a hour on doing this, and I know I will have to do it a lot better for the final product, but it does give me a general feel for the case size. I think I need to make it out of thiner cardboard next time as I had a hard time make this bend. Any way when ever I get time I do plan to make prototype No2 much better before attempting final build.
    More pics of WWBL and future picture will be posted on
    http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/amigang/

Keep you updated