Thread: Starting/Stoping Services on Remote Computer

Default Starting/Stoping Services on Remote Computer

I need help starting and stopping services on a Remote Computer.

I do NOT want to use a 3rd party software such as PSExec, PSKill etc....
    I also need to use a different Username and Password on each computer. I created a program that uses SC, Taskkill and Remote Desktop but SC has to be an admin.

I figured I would try the Net command but I don't know if you can use Net Stop or Net Start with a username and password. I know you can use Net User but I don't know if you can use Net User Start/Stop <ServiceName>?

I have done a ton of searches for this but it seems like everyone ends the thread with using SysInternals tools or something 3rd party that needs to be installed. I want this to be dynamic so it works on every Windows computer straight out of the box... Using only what Microsoft has standard on a Windows Computer.

Thank you

Default Re: Starting/Stoping Services on Remote Computer

You can use the net start/stop command if you want. But an easier way would be to go into computer management (right click My Computer, Manage), and where it says Computer Management (Local), right click, and then select the option to use another computer. From there, you can enter the admin username and password for the other computer (or domain admin if using a DC), and start/stop services via the GUI.

Welcome aboard!

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Starting/Stoping Services on Remote Computer

That's pretty cool SgtM, I didn't know you could do that. +rep

1RealTruth; what exactly are you trying to do? And on what version(s) of Windows? Do you need to script it or is doing it manually for each system good? How many systems are you trying to control? That info would help immensely in assisting you.