Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Neptune's Trident

Modding the World, One Case at a Time Boddaker's Avatar

Default Neptune's Trident

Well, here we go again with another project! With BSG finally complete, the family settled in at the new house,
    and my work area in place, I can mod once again.

This project will be a more traditional mod, in the sense that it won't be scratch built, or have fabricated engine
    pods or other appendages attached to it. It will be simple, clean, and functional.

I originally came up with the idea to do a case mod that revolved around the number 3. As far as components go,
    it will have 3 video cards, DDR3 memory, 3Ghz processor, 300Gb hard drive, and three water cooling loops.
    One of the main features of the case will be three Primochill Typhoon III dual-bay reservoirs with attached pumps
    mounted in the drive bays. It was from these pump/res's that the watery theme was realized. The name lends
    itself well to the underlying water elements while staying consistent with the number "3".

The case I'm starting with is a Lian Li V2000. It will have a trident-shaped window on the side that will wrap
    around the corner towards the reservoirs, and three pass-through holes at the bottom where the three 120mm
    rads will be located. Here is a preview animation of the case:

With most of the planning done and parts ordered, I should be able to finish this mod fairly quickly.
    Special thanks go to Moddersmart.com for working with me to get everything I need for this project!
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Default Re: Neptune's Trident

Ok, so here's the case. First time I've worked on a Lian Li, and I must say it is a pretty stout case! Well built and nice thick aluminum panels.

...And gutted. That didn't take long! lol

And I'm off and running.
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Quote Originally Posted by Karbon Killa View Post
    Looks like an awesome design, but one question, and I know you have an answer. Where are the HDD('s) going to go? Just sorta wondering because I dont see anywhere they can really go other than next to the mobo, unless you are using external drives.
    I haven't really settled on a location for the hard drives yet, but you are right, they will most likely go next to the mobo tray. I'm working on a trident-shaped mounting bracket that will attach either to the tray, or the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by gramatton View Post
    The sketch up looks awesome. After seeing the BSG mod I can't wait to see this one.

BTW, what are you going to do for a cd-rom, won't all the bays be taken up by resevoirs?
    The case has seven external drive bays, and I am using all of them (the reservoirs normally take up 2 each, but I'm spacing them out a bit). I did however leave a 1/2" at the bottom for my slimline slot loading dvd drive.

After gutting the case, I started in on the side panel window design and pass-through holes. If you remember the case came with a windowed
    side panel that also had a fan hole in the upper right corner. Luckily, Moddersmart had a solid panel for the case lying around so I got that too.

I penciled out the lines for the cutouts. I didn't bother to protect the surface with tape, since I will be sanding and painting later.

Drilled some pilot holes for the jigsaw and started cutting.

Cuts complete, but I made a tiny boo-boo. See it?

How bout a closer look. I mistakingly drilled the pilot hole in the wrong spot. Doh!! :x

Here is the panel on the case.

To fix the whoops, I cut a round disc and plugged the hole, and will bondo over it later.

On to the other side panel!

Some progress today!

To cut the other side panel, I used the first one as a guide. After cleaning up the cuts with a file, I layed the two panels
    together and drew out the three holes.

Holes cut (I got the pilot holes right this time! )

Then I removed the front post.

Instead of just working with the existing floor, I opted to make a whole new one out of the old windowed side panel.
    This provides me with a clean slate so I can make my access holes wherever I need them. Using the old one as a template,
    I marked out the side panel. Had just enough material in the middle.

Cut, complete with mounting tabs and notches on the ends for the side panels.

Test fit. Gotta make a few adjustments...

Now it fits! I won't rivet it in just yet. Gotta first make all the holes I need for cabling, tubing, etc..., and paint.

Next up will be the back panel, psu mount, and bottom radiator mounting brackets.

Work continues on the PSU area.

In order to fit the power supply where I wanted, I have to stand it on end. Which meant that I had to remove part of the case for airflow and to reach the power switch.

I turned the case over and removed the back wheelset. I forgot to take a shot before cutting, so here's what it looked like lol.

And here's after the cut. I later had to remove a bit more from the bottom of the case to clear the power switch. You will notice in the next couple of pics I repositioned the wheelset forward a bit.

Here is the original back plate. I'm cutting off the PSU mounting portion and relocating it.

Relocated! Now I can place the PSU in for a test fit.

I'm using Corsair's 1KW power supply, which can accommodate the three EVGA GTX 260 cards in SLI. It has six 6-8pin cables right out of the box. No need for molex adapters!

It is quite long, but it fits!

Since I mutilated the original backplate, I needed to make a new one. So I grabbed some left-over aluminum panel and cut one to size.

Then I curved the bottom portion so it would match the corner curvature of the case. Looking around the garage, I found a ladder wall hook to have a suitable tube diameter to bend around.

And back on the case.

Last thing to do was to cut the fan hole. The Corsair psu has a 140mm fan, so I found the center, used a compass to draw a 5 1/2" circle, and cut it out.

I'm working on getting some grills made, so that will cover up the hole and finish it off.

Thanks guys. It was really the only viable solution. I'm glad it worked out!

Got a bit more work done last night. Made the pieces that will go in between the Typhoons and around
    the corner to complete the trident shape.

I used more of the left-over side panel and cut two 9/16" strips.

Then I bent them 90°. Here's a shot of them in place to give you an idea. They will just be mounted to the
    wrap-around window with double-sided tape, as I dont want any visible fasteners.

Smallish update just to let you know I'm still working on it :thumb:

Laying out the rads and fans placement, I whipped up some quick mounts from angle bar.

Then I laid them out to see where they will eventually go.

I'm working up some custom acrylic one-piece mounts that will look much better than these ones.

I also did some cosmetic work to the front of the case. It seems that Lian Li forgot to drill some holes in this one area,
    and they just stuck a square name badge over it to cover up their mistake! :lol:
    Well, not to worry, I'll take care of it...
    I used the corner piece I cut out as a guide to drill out the missing holes.

All done, save for some sanding and filing.

I will have a custom name badge mounted over this area, so it has to look uniform, which is why I drilled out the old LL badge.

I should be able to get some more work done over the weekend, so til then!

Thanks guys.
    Got more accomplished this weekend. Worked on the side panels a bit more, and got the hard drive mounts done.

After contemplating how I was going to mount three hard drives in the case, I decided to go
    about it a bit differently than the standard drive cage. I came up with a way to stack them up,
    but on their sides, so there will basically be a wall of drives next to the motherboard. I used
    some 1/2" square acrylic rod, cutting two pieces equal length. I only had two old drives, so I
    used a Coca-Cola tin as my third, just to get an idea of overall height. three drives stacked
    comes out to 12", and I have 13" total height from the floor to the top of the case. So I spaced
    them out so I had 3/8" on top and bottom, and 1/8" in between.

I marked the rods and cut out three 4" sections for the drives. One done, one to go.

Here's how the drives will sit on the rods.

I will be utilizing the drive's bottom mounting holes, instead of the usual side holes.

After some filing and general clean-up, I brought the 1TB Samsungs out for a test fit.

Here is how they will be positioned in the case.

To secure them in the case, I will drill and tap some holes in the bottom ends, and in the back
    side for the top. Once I get to the lighting portion of the build, I will probably add some led's
    as well and light them up.