Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Robotics: Crenn's Third Year Project

Default Re: Robotics: Crenn's Third Year Project

Nice.. finally got the Xbees! I can't wait to see the next video of an untethered UAV!

Well, we haven't flown yet (due to various reasons) but I'd thought I'd give a little update to what has been happening. First off, we have a new mounting system for the motors and rear engine. They're less likely to suddenly come off in certain conditions. The new aluminium brackets were designed by my project partner:

Main Engines:
    Rear Assembly:

There also has been a couple of changes to the electronics, we now have a Razer IMU on a new daughter board, we also removed the switches so the ADXL is connected exclusively on I2C.

The rest of the work has been done in software, and the first thing done is rewritten the Razer firmware to output raw data at 500Hz (compared with calculated data at 50Hz) and get the Maple to process the data (does the calculations is 700uS at most) before outputting the data that the Razer normally outputs, over the XBee module (although it only outputs once every 18 calculations) to the computer where the Razer's program shows the orientation.

The reason why we're doing the processing on the Maple? The Maple is a lot faster at doing it, and once I switched to fixed point calculations, it will be even faster. I can do the calculations on the Razer (8MHz ATMEGA328 running the arduino bootloader), but they are slower.

Additionally tests have been run using the Maple's hardware I2C to control a motor. We had some problems, but they may be to do with the Wire Library I've written. However, after working around a small problem, the motors can be controlled without issue. Potentially, we could have an actual flying test next week, however, that's dependant on the progress on the control system.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

looking good! I can't wait to see it fly

Neither can we! It's been almost 2 years since we've started this project, and we haven't gotten off the ground yet!

What's the weight like so far? I think my big time/wallet killer this summer will be a quadcopter.

1.5-1.6kg (3.3-3.52lb). I wish I had the money to buy up some hobby stuff like an RC Helicopter kit.

you can find them cheap! take a look at the E-Flite Blade mCX. I had their older CP (which getting a CP heli for a NOOB was a BAD idea lol) then I got their CX and had a blast with that, till I traded it and a tool cart for the pair of 3870x2s I had lol

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    1.5-1.6kg (3.3-3.52lb). I wish I had the money to buy up some hobby stuff like an RC Helicopter kit.
    Check out hobbyking.com if you haven't already. Not always the best quality stuff, but there's good stuff in there if you're careful...and the prices are dirt cheap...
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    you can find them cheap! take a look at the E-Flite Blade mCX. I had their older CP (which getting a CP heli for a NOOB was a BAD idea lol) then I got their CX and had a blast with that, till I traded it and a tool cart for the pair of 3870x2s I had lol
    I'm wanting a full feldged Collective Pitch helicopter for research and to learn how a 'real' helicopter works!

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Check out hobbyking.com if you haven't already. Not always the best quality stuff, but there's good stuff in there if you're careful...and the prices are dirt cheap...
    HobbyKing is actually where a few out our parts come from (RC TX/RX, LiPo and LiPo charger), so we know very much about it. Prices for individual components might be near dirt cheap.... but, this is the kit I was looking at:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10444

However, when you're a student with only a fist full of dollars left, can't really stretch things to get it and the parts needed.

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Very interesting, I wish they used brushless engines though!