Thread: Custom Laptop Cooler (Aluminum Questions)

Default Custom Laptop Cooler (Aluminum Questions)

I know this really isn't a case mod, but while I'm at school all I have is my laptop due to space constraints. My biggest problem is that my laptop constantly has its fans running at full speed, which is quite loud at night. I've been doing extensive shopping online for a laptop cooler, except none of them would fit my laptop, as the fans aren't space out normally, but both located on right left underside of the laptop. As a result, any laptop cooler I buy would cover up both fans, and that's not really want I want. Also, I'd like to get some experience working with aluminum and custom jobs to prep me for my summer project (overhauling the PC, custom case, etc.).

So, I'd like to build something like this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16834999336), except with the fan holes located in a different area. Unlike the laptop coolers, I don't plan on adding the fans - this would simply be a molded piece of aluminum that would sit under my laptop. Depending on how well it works, I may do some work on it afterwards to add in fans, USB dock, and LEDS. But for now, I simply need to make this initial piece.

The question is: how would I do this? I've never worked with any aluminum before, so I have really no idea where to start. After looking around on the forums, it seems my first step would be to go out and get the aluminum and a dremel to cut it. I'm wondering 1) what other than a basic dremel would I need (attachment wise, for cutting the holes, smoothing out the edges, etc.), 2) where to get the aluminum, and what kind (it has to be sturdy enough that it won't bend under the weight of a 8 pound laptop). Also, what's the best way to go about shaping the actual aluminum? Would it be best to shape the aluminum to achieve my edges, or instead cut multiple pieces and somehow attach them via bolts or wielding?

I hope what I just wrote was understandable. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Anodized

Default Re: Custom Laptop Cooler (Aluminum Questions)

why msut it be made of aluminium? why not steel? or maybe even perspex?
    SEMPER FI

This shouldn't be too hard. First up? Get a local metal dealer to cut your aluminium, and get him to put a 90 degree fold in it. You'll appreciate him folding it instead of having to do it yourself.

Then, take your fans. It doesn't matter where you get them, as long as you like them. Quiet, LEDs, it probably won't matter. With your standard 3 pin fans, you need the red and black wires. Cut them. The blacks are your ground, and you need to hook them up to pin 4 of a USB cable. The Red ones are your power in line. Chances are they're for 12 volts, but we've only got 5 but it should do fine. Connect the two red wires in parralell to pin 1 off the USB port.

Now, use that dremel to cut holes in your aluminium, and then stick the fans on-either with screws, or a mounting mechanism of your own devising

Here's a sketch of what i mean: the stars are supposed to be your fans.

The remaining cable in your fans is the Tachometer signal. You won't be needing that, so cut them away.

Overall, a nice and easy project to get you started

why msut it be made of aluminium? why not steel? or maybe even perspex?
    Probably because aluminium is nice and light, and looks sweet

Good luck, tell me how it goes!

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Anodized

perspex isn't light and doesnt look cool? since when!!!! lol
    also sheet metal (steel) aint that heavy unless u go with like 5mm thickness if u go 2ish it shouldnt be too heavy. oh and anfter lookin at daves design i think it needs a small lip at the front to prevent ur lappy sliding off
    SEMPER FI

i agree with sawblade, a lip is necessary. however i think you could do something really cool with perspex. you could have the color match your laptop, yunno maybe some leds etcetera.
    "to lose a parent is a tredgedy, to lose two is just carelessness"
    -Oscar Wild

You'd probably want to put another something at the back to stop the edge digging into your thighs. I left that stuff out so you get an idea of what do and leave the details up to yourself

-Dave
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

I went out and picked up a dremel and a bunch of accessories for it, but I'm having some major problems cutting the aluminum. It took me a while it cut it to size, but now my problem is cutting out the two circles. The dremel I have (Dremel 400 Series XPR Rotary Tool Kit) comes with a bunch of accessories but I'm confused how everyone else cuts circles in aluminum as the round circular attachments I used to cut don't really fit inside the circular tool. I doubt any of that made sense, but if it does, does anyone have suggestions for cutting aluminum, especially in regardes to cutting out circles?

Anodized

try getting a hole-saw and use it in regualar drill oh and make sure its for metal and not wood.
    SEMPER FI