Thread: Networking help!!

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Networking help!!

I'm at my buddies house now. he had cable, but recently switched to DSL. he had the cable modem hooked into his linksys router then had his computer and xbox's plugged into it and it all worked fine.

He just set up Verizon DSL and hooked the linksys back up the same way but cant access the internet. If we plug the computer directly intot he DSL modem it works fine, as it is now. But if we plug the modem into the router, then to the computer, nothing works. If you go through the xbox you can see the movie folders on the computer, so the computer and xbox are seeing each other, but not the internet. Also, he can't stream movies from the computer to the xbox anymore. anyone have any ideas?

Default Re: Networking help!!

router could not be setup for dsl
    Quote Originally Posted by lastweek View Post
    Not only will it probably catch fire to your house, it will probably shoot peices out of your case and kill your cat. make sure you video tape your expierment.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRider View Post
    Write your will before you turn it on

Most DSL setups I've seen require that the devices be registered. Try having the router clone the PC's MAC address.. that might do it.

Also, did you check to make sure the router is pulling a valid IP from the dsl modem?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

I know it's not Cable, but when I installed my router (yes, I was running for a few days with the modem hooked straight to my PC; shoot me :p ) I had to completely reset the modem. For some reason each time it boots it locks onto the device that it is connected to, so every time you change the device, you have to reboot the modem. The way I figured this out was that the router wasn't pulling an IP, so that's the first thing I would check.

What pcclan is talking about is bridging the modem and setting the router to handle the PPPoE (Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet). That's how mine is setup. I had my own modem, so I set it up myself, but you'll likely have to call Verizon and have them walk you through it; unless you can find a tutorial somewhere.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

I tried switching it to PPPoE, bridging it, resetting the router and modem, etc etc to no avail. I do remember having this same issue at work, with the same POS verison DSL modem. something about that particular one doesnt like linksys products. they sent us a newer updated modem/router all-in-one unit and its worked flawlessly ever since. I told him to just have verison do that. I'm going to find the model of the one they sent to my work and have him ask for that one. thanks for all the help though!