Thread: Project: Sputnik

Default Project: Sputnik

Hi all, I've posted this idea on RRTech and LOSIAS, but I want to get your opinions as well.

This will be my first venture into case modding AND watercooling.

I'm planning to buy a Shuttle SA76G2, watercool it, and do a gpu mod so that I can use my HIS 4670HD.

System Specs:
    Shuttle SA76G2
    AMD Phenom X4 9600
    G.Skill HK 2x2GB DDR2 800
    HIS Radeon HD4670 Turbo
    Western Digital Scorpio Black 160gb

WC Specs:
    HWlabs Black Ice GT Stealth 240
    Laing DDC 3.2 (need top suggestions, looking at Petra's ATM)
    HeatKiller 3.0 LT
    Tygon tubing
    (need opinion on res. will be side mounted if anything.)

Since I can't have my cake and eat it too, the rad will force me to remove the drive tray. Since I won't have an ODD, I'll make a front faceplate. I'll probably put a custom HDD tray where the stock cooling used to be, since I will be removing it. Also, the Pump will be mounted on the backside of the front, probably where the drive tray used to be.

Here you can see what I plan to do with the GPU, and how I plan to mount the rad.

I may eventually put an lcd in the other side, but this will be one of the last things to happen in this mod, so I have time.

Comments? Questions? Snide remarks?
    Serina: Chieftec Versa Bravo | ASUS M3A78-EM | AMD Phenom X4 9550 | ATI Radeon HD4670

L.O.S.I.A.S. Technologies SFF modders, ASSEMBLEEE!!!!

Default Re: Project: Sputnik

Looks like an interesting concept. An LCD on the side you say?!? No way!

Don't forget a snazzy radgrill on the top, and also for the top, are you planning on putting a carrying handle of some sort? Or is this going to be pretty stationary? (It's odd that it doesn't even come with one in the first place...)

May I recommend this for a pump top? It performs 2nd only to it's big brother (which I'm assuming you don't have room for), and it looks great doing it! Plus, it's pretty cheap.

You may be able to have an internal res if your 3.5 bay is open still: Bitspower 3.5" Bay Reservoir. If it's not, some 90 degree fittings in the rad might clear it up, failing that though, looks like external res is in your future. You might be able to sneak this inside somewhere though...it looks pretty tiny.

My apologies, I was not able to think of any snide remarks at this time...I'll let you know if something comes to me though.

EDIT: Forgot to ask: why 'sputnik'? Was just curious.
    Last edited by mDust; 10-29-2009 at 01:14 PM. Reason: avoiding double post
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Default Re: Project: Sputnik

"Sputnik" because I needed a space-themed name since it's a shuttle build, and its also my first venture into case modding and WCing, so why not take the name of the first object to be launched into space? (Plus I found a cool logo that would make a great front panel)

I'm not planning to put a handle on the top, as the rad will take the vast majority of the real estate.

I'll take any suggestions on pump tops, as I will probably end up going for low cost.

The 3.5 Bay res isn't plausible because the bay depends on the 5.25 bay IIRC.

The only place I'd be able to possibly put a res is mounted on the gpu side towards the front of the case, as the LCD will take up the real estate on its side.

Also, chances are very good that I'll put a window in the non-gpu side until I get the funds for the LCD
    Serina: Chieftec Versa Bravo | ASUS M3A78-EM | AMD Phenom X4 9550 | ATI Radeon HD4670

L.O.S.I.A.S. Technologies SFF modders, ASSEMBLEEE!!!!