Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't create partition larger than 2GB?

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Can't create partition larger than 2GB?

How do I make a larger partition? It only gives me 2GB maximum and I have at least 40GB available. Hmmm...
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Re: Can't create partition larger than 2GB?

have you tried to partition it in Ubuntu?

first:
    This should be in the computer help forum,

Second:
    What OS are you using? and what format are you trying to make it, some formats and OS's limit the size,

Or if theres a partition on there already, that windows can't see, you will only be able to use what free space is left.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Fat16 maxes out at 2gb anyways, so you may have to change your filesystem type.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

/reformat in NTFS. Done.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

I'm using Windows 7 RC. I'm not sure which format I selected. Maybe I shouldn't have even selected one? It said I needed to format to use it, so... I want to install Ubuntu onto it. Am I even doing this right so far? lol

My main disk has 50GB free. You would think I'd be able to use more than 2GB... hmmm.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    /reformat in NTFS. Done.
    I checked both "drives" and they both are NTFS.

Is it because of certain unmovable files maybe? I think it mentioned something along those lines. Hmm. This is so confusing.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

When you say you have 40gb available, do you mean 40gb of unallocated space or 40gb free on an existing partition????

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Uhm... I don't know? lol

I'm a total newb at this kind of thing, OBVIOUSLY. Let me guess, I have to reformat the entire drive and reinstall everything?

I wonder if I could fit Ubuntu on that 2GB... lol