Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't create partition larger than 2GB?

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Can't create partition larger than 2GB?

Oooh, I think I see what happened. I'm guessing there's already a partition on the drive you're trying to use? It's probably looking at the drive and either seeing 2GB that it can work with (ie, unpartitioned), or looking at the partition, deciding that it can only shrink it 2GB, and telling you that. If you're wanting to wipe the drive, you'll have to select the partition, tell it to delete it, then select the new empty space, and tell it to make a new partition. If you want to shrink the partition, it's obviously not reading it correctly; I'd recommend the GPartEd Live-CD to shrink the partition, then boot back into the 7 install and have it use the empty space.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Awersome! So I just downloaded Ubuntu and opened it up via Daemon Tools and it let me install Ubuntu inside of Windows and it let me choose how large of an install I wanted as well. Now whenever I boot I get to pick either Windows 7 or Ubuntu. Sweet.

The new Ubuntu is pretty nice too. Much speedier than Windows 7 on this rig.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

going to install xubuntu on one of my junk computers to set up a testing server for websites. hopefully I dont run into any issues like you did! lol

Strip it, paint it, and love on it... Commando's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    /reformat in NTFS. Done.
    Gotta love the simple answer.... FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    Awersome! So I just downloaded Ubuntu and opened it up via Daemon Tools and it let me install Ubuntu inside of Windows and it let me choose how large of an install I wanted as well. Now whenever I boot I get to pick either Windows 7 or Ubuntu. Sweet.

The new Ubuntu is pretty nice too. Much speedier than Windows 7 on this rig.
    Something tells me you just snuck Umbuntu into some tiny space at the end of a partition. So when it has no space don't be surprised.

Also, I'm sure you didn't defrag either? did you?

Simple answer:

Hard Drive 1
    - Partition
    Windows (xp or whatever)
    - New Partition on HD1 (this is where Umbuntu is now)
    Hard Drive
    - This is where it should be(but it's not)
    - Partition (NTFS)

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Something tells me you just snuck Ubuntu into some tiny space at the end of a partition. So when it has no space don't be surprised.

Also, I'm sure you didn't defrag either? did you?

Simple answer:

Hard Drive 1
    - Partition
    Windows (xp or whatever)
    - New Partition on HD1 (this is where Umbuntu is now)
    Hard Drive
    - This is where it should be(but it's not)
    - Partition (NTFS)
    Hmm, I'm not sure what I did or what it did. But it works and that's all I care about.

I did a defrag a few times as suggested by the Windows help mahjigger. However, defrags don't move unmovable files, so maybe that's what it was.

It's reporting disk space as I set it as, so idk. I guess we'll find out eventually. lol
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

If you installed Ubuntu from Windows (ie, using the Wubi installer) it actually installs it to the Windows root partition; that's kinda the whole point of it, that it doesn't mess with your partition table.

BTW, defragging as a general rule is a thing of the past, Vista and later use indexing to move frequently used files where they want them so they can be accessed quicker. Also, defrag a SSD and watch what happens. Tears, I tell you.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

just out of curiousity, what DOES happen when you defrag a SSD? do you have a big flaming pile of ashes on your hands or what? or just a brick of metal and circuit boards and such? lol

The problem with defraging an SSD is that all SSDs have a limited number of write cycles (well, to be fair, so do platter HDDs...they're just in the hundreds of millions or something). The process of defraging a volume involves moving files that were split up into multiple segements back into one piece, in order to reduce seek times. This is accomplished by moving files around, constantly writing and re-writing various locations on the volume. Since the seek time to access data anywhere on an SSD is the same, it doesn't matter if a file is split up in different parts of the drive, so all that defraging an SSD accomplishes is to burn through your write cycles. Under normal use, modern SSDs won't die for something like 5-35 years (depending on the model and use), but with something like Vista's constant defraging running, you would burn through them a lot faster than that. There were reports of early SSDs dying overnight because of Vista's auto-defrag.

ahh good to know. shoulda thought about the limited write cycles. good info +rep