Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project : Redemption

Default Re: Project : Redemption

oooh another update

BTW - All my images are now linkies as they can be large and stretch the forum something wicked.

My perspex arrived today, took a few shots of it (yeah you've probably all seen perspex before, but I'm going to show you anyway)

Its a nice Red Tint which I got from International Displays otherwise known as Plastic Online at Ebay

I've also got a sheet of Gloss Black (identical to Monolith), heres an off cut

Heres that Runner Channelling I was on about earlier too.

As you can see the plan is to have it fit onto the side panels and then I can slide them in and out of the Corners sections easily. It'll also help stop vibrations in the panels.

Here's an image I'm toying with currently. I've printed it out onto a Clear Vinyl Sticker which I can then stick onto the case.

Sorry for these last few pics, its very hard to get a good picture of a transparent, glossy surface.

White Background

No Background

I'm planning on using the Chest Piece as a power button so it'll glow a little too.

Keep your ideas coming folks
    Craigr1982
    ----------
    Redemption HTPC Scratchbuild- Zotac 9300 ITX, Intel Q9450, 4Gb G.Skill 6400, LG Bluray Drive, OCZ ModXstream 400W, 2x 1Tb Samsung, Windows 7 Home. 32" Toshiba LCD TV.

Quick update

Did some painting over the weekend. Couple of coats of frosting.

I think it still needs a couple more coats to get the desired effect.

Hope to spend some time on it again tomoro.
    Craigr1982
    ----------
    Redemption HTPC Scratchbuild- Zotac 9300 ITX, Intel Q9450, 4Gb G.Skill 6400, LG Bluray Drive, OCZ ModXstream 400W, 2x 1Tb Samsung, Windows 7 Home. 32" Toshiba LCD TV.

After a couple of coats of Frosting I have the desired effect for the perspex rod corners.

Also I got the feet finished with drilling countersunk holes for my socket headed bolts

Fit in nicely now.

and bolted together.

In other news....

I had to send my Mobo back a while ago (29th Oct) as it was a duffer. Finally got through to Aria chasing it up and they told me that it's a discontinued product and they gave me a refund. Thanks a lot. In the meantime I bought a new board from mini-itx.com which arrived today.

Zotac 9300 ITX - My god is this thing small..holy hell.

But its jam packed with stuff.

Rear Panel Connectors:
    PS2 Keyboard, S/PDIF optical digital audio out, S/PDIF coaxial digital audio out, VGA, DVI-I; HDMI; 6x USB 2.0; eSATA; Realtek RTL8211CL Gigabit LAN; 3x 3.5mm audio connectors, Antenna Socket for WiFi.

Board connectors:
    6x USB 2.0 connectors on 3x 9pin headers; 2x DDR2 667/800 DIMM sockets; 3x SATA 3GB/s ; PCI Express 2.0 x16 (supports Hybrid SLI); S/PDIF; 20pin ATX power connector and 4pin 12V power connector (both must be connected); BIOS jumper; Chassis intrusion; LGA 775 processor socket; Chassis Fan; CPU Fan; FPANEL.

I mean jezus, what more do ya need?!?

Looks like I'll have to either buy a smaller cooler or mod the current Arctic Freezer 7 Low Profile, it's a tight squeeze for sure. but I'll leave that for another update.
    Craigr1982
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by craigr1982
    Looks like I'll have to either buy a smaller cooler or mod the current Arctic Freezer 7 Low Profile, it's a tight squeeze for sure. but I'll leave that for another update.
    Here is the problem. The board is very compact and the cooler is quite large. I've got the heatpipes touching the chipset cooler.

The real killer is that it overhangs my RAM slots.

Causing me to only be running 2gb instead of the 4gb I have reserved for it. Still I'm sure it can be fixed with a dremel

On to more exciting things now.

I've got my Red Tint perspex being cut in the next few days (all being well) which will include some "extra" work which I'm looking forward to seeing.

I've made my Hard drive mounts now too, basically 4 clear perspex square dowels.

I'm undecided whether to frost them or not, as they don't look too bad at the moment anyway. I'm sure someone will make a decision over the coming weeks. (either me or management )

I got some felt pads which I will be putting between the dowel and the drives to prevent vibrations. They are pretty thin but I'm sure they will do the job.

I need to work out how to join up some LED's to a molex connector (pretty straight forward I think), but then I would like to be able to dim or turn them off completely which I think might prove difficult. The only think I can see which might do it is an X10 controller which of course isnt compatible with the Logitech Harmony 555 Remote I'm looking at.

Any ideas on how to do it remotely?
    Craigr1982
    ----------

Oooooooooooooh..DELIVERIES!!!

Perspex for the base all cut and ready to go.

Oh look a switch..A Vandal Switch even

Mounting the feet.

Building the corners up.

Added the top too. Startin to look like a box now...

Screwed together has a nice sandwich on the red perspex. Should look even better with the protective covering removed.

Topped off with a Socket Head. Should contrast nicely.

The award to roughest mockup ever goes to.............

Must be me then

Still need to drill various mounting holes for PSU, Mobo etc, and work out the cable management. I'm going to be using a Top Angle PSU lead to a socket so my power lead won't be coming out of the side panel and ruin the looks.

Last but not least. A quick teaser.
    Craigr1982
    ----------

The eagle-eyed among you may have noticed the bowing of the base panel

I'm a little miffed at that tbh as I was assured (by the perspex supplier) that the 5mm would be strong enough NOT to bow under the weight..Ho Hum life goes on.

I need to do another mockup (with items in the correct places rather than just casually thrown on) and check the issue. I'm tempted to place another foot in the centre of the panel. This would be a clear version of the feet so as not to draw attention to itself. Leaving the base as an elongated 5 spot on a die..except its a little big to be rolling

Time will tell I guess.
    Craigr1982
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by craigr1982 View Post
    I'm a little miffed at that tbh as I was assured (by the perspex supplier) that the 5mm would be strong enough NOT to bow under the weight..Ho Hum life goes on.

I need to do another mockup (with items in the correct places rather than just casually thrown on) and check the issue. I'm tempted to place another foot in the centre of the panel.
    What about just a brace across the panel?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Luke - I could use a brace, I've been marking up my base panel for mounting points so I should be able to build it and see what happens then.

So I'm supposed to be resting after my operation but I've been bored so I sleeved my 3x 80mm fans.

btw all these images are clickable so I don't stretch the place

I've also hacked off the 3pin header plug which I won't be using. Not just because my mobo only has 2 fan connectors (with one being the CPU fan), but because I felt the urge to.

So now it's just molex powered which is fine by me especially as they are quiet fans anyway, if they were delta's it would be a whole different ballgame.

Here's a better picture of the mobo for size reference, apparently a pen isn't good enough

Also spent a bit of time butchering the heatsink so I could fit my 2nd stick of RAM in. It's not pretty but if it still cools fine then I'll tidy it up.
    Craigr1982
    ----------

Damn it's been cold today...so I stayed indoors yet again.

Today's tasks were to hunt through my boxes (and boxes, and boxes, and boxes) of junk for things that were useful.

Some power switches and LED's

After a bit of time spent doing some rewiring and cable management and voila.
    BETTER power switch with LED

Also found this little beauty. Obviously custom-made just for such an occasion, but not custom enough for me.

I'll be damned if I work outside in this cold today, but maybe I'll venture out in the next few days.

Oh and Happy New Year!!
    Craigr1982
    ----------

HOLY HELL ITS COLD OUTSIDE!!

and yet I still managed to brave the elements (albeit for less an hour) for some modding.

First up, some quick hack and slash work on the back panel with my jigsaw.

Now that it's down to a more manageable size I did some tidying up with my Dremel Clone

Before Xmas I bought a new toy, a pillar drill Sure it's only a cheap one, but it's making my life easier already. How did I live without one?!?!

Now my backplate is sorted. I pop riveted a small section on top of the IO plate for added stability when it's attached to the perspex.

I plan on painting it black so that it doesn't stand out so much when it's inside the case, but all my paint states, paint at room temperature...what do they know

Next on my list of things to do is a lightbox of some sort.
    Craigr1982
    ----------