Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you guys look at this list and tell me if it looks like a good combo?

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Can you guys look at this list and tell me if it looks like a good combo?

Good quick comparison on MS's site here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...oducts/compare

I honestly can't recommend Ultimate, even if it is only $20 more.

For the components, I would recommend changing to the i7-920 (socket 1366) since it supports triple channel RAM. I think the benefit you get from the triple channel will probably be more than the benefit you would get from the extra 140MHz clock. I'd also go with the 5870 over the GTX295 if you can find one. They're cheaper, perform about the same, and have DX11 support.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Re: Can you guys look at this list and tell me if it looks like a good combo?

My 2c is 7 Professional - Home Premium lacks a fair bit that Pro has, but I agree Ultimate isn't needed - I went from Vista HP to Ultimate purely to get remote access built in (I know there are hacks to get it working but not the way I needed) - I have plans to put 7 on at least 5 of my PCs and it'll be Professional on most, if not all of them - the dedicated media centre MIGHT get HP, but probably stick with Pro lol

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

DO NOT GO WITH 1156!

Socket burn issues with Asus and Gigabyte are killing cpu+board, and nobody's warrantying it. EVGA, MSI or DFI are the only lines we know that don't have the affected sockets. That SuperComputer board is also mostly useless for the extra latencies off the 2 NF200 chips on there as well.

You have all the power in the world headed your way, if you're gonna do it may as well go 920 and 5870 (yes, another vote there.) DX11 is the big deal there, you're already buying, go ahead and get yourself set for the next big API that everyone will ignore developing for consoles. If you're gonna spend the dough, the MSI Eclipse is nice, as is any EVGA board and Gigabyte is solid across the board on 1366.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Strip it, paint it, and love on it... Commando's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    Would anyone recommend a different video card for performance vs cost? By that I mean, I don't want to spend much more than that, but I don't even know if that is the best choice in it's class.

I just got a DOA GTX 295 and spent a loooooong time trying to figure out what was wrong. I don't mean to scare you. It think it's supposed to be super awesome. But I did learn to stay away from the newest driver for it. it's really shaky and causing some pretty big concern.

Definitely use the last stable driver while they work out the bugs. 190.38 Vista | Win 7 (64-bit) WHQL

Also disable auto updates in Win 7 because it will automatically go to the 190.7 driver which is causing hate and discontent across the word right now.

looks good to me, when can i expect it shipped to me
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    DO NOT GO WITH 1156!

Socket burn issues with Asus and Gigabyte are killing cpu+board, and nobody's warrantying it. EVGA, MSI or DFI are the only lines we know that don't have the affected sockets. That SuperComputer board is also mostly useless for the extra latencies off the 2 NF200 chips on there as well.

You have all the power in the world headed your way, if you're gonna do it may as well go 920 and 5870 (yes, another vote there.) DX11 is the big deal there, you're already buying, go ahead and get yourself set for the next big API that everyone will ignore developing for consoles. If you're gonna spend the dough, the MSI Eclipse is nice, as is any EVGA board and Gigabyte is solid across the board on 1366.
    This problem only exists if you overclock it to the extreme. However, this socket problem shouldn't exist in the first place. But it's not actually Asus' or Gigabyte's fault, it's their socket supplier.

As for going to the 1366 platform, there is a good reason to go there as you'll have the upgrade path of hex-core!

And lastly, I'd recommend waiting a couple of months until NVidia release their Dx11 card. Why? Because when one company doesn't have competition, they set the standard price. Once Nvidia releases their card, I can almost guarantee that ATi will drop their prices by at least $50 if not more depending on NVidia's performance. But if you need this ASAP, then the 5870 is probably your best bet providing they have stock.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Thanks for all of the great tips fellas! I'll have to wait a little while to get some money together but I'll let you know what I end up with.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Overclocked

Do you need 7.1 audio because the built in audio on that board is good already.. and then you could use that 200 for a ssd hardrive for speed..

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by haha49 View Post
    Do you need 7.1 audio because the built in audio on that board is good already.. and then you could use that 200 for a ssd hardrive for speed..
    For those programmers/logic nerds out there..

good onboard << Xonar D2X

I mean absolutely no offense of condescension by this statement, haha, but I'm gonna guess you've never had a high quality audio card. The difference between good onboard and even a cheaper high quality dedicated card one like my Xonar DX (entry level Xonar) is night and day. The moment I heard the first sounds out of my Xonar, I swore to myself that I would never go back to onboard.

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

getting back to the which windows version, I've had Vista x64 Ultimate, and I don't use a single feature that separates Ultimate from "Professional." In fact, I just bought the Win7 Pro upgrade (can't upgrade directly....stupid Microsoft...) rather than the Ultimate. Unless you really need the two or three features that Ultimate adds, go with Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)