Thread: Wireless N and My Neighbor...

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Wireless N and My Neighbor...

So my computer connected to my neighbors router somehow without me knowing it and I was downloading something and when I looked down at my data speeds it was hitting 900kbps! I don't even get 1/3rd of that here! Took me a second to figure out what the heck was going on, then I looked at my wireless connections.

Too bad it's a super spotty connection. It's only like 1 to 2 bars and it keeps disconnecting constantly. But I suppose that's for the best because I'd probably be hopping onto it all the time for vital updates and what-not. lol

I wonder if I talked to him if he'd let me use it. Then I could go out and get a N adapter and probably get a much better connection.

Anyways, thought that was pretty crazy. The fastest I've personally ever had was 600kbps. He's probably double that. I wonder what he has and how much he is paying? I don't think we have FIOS in this area... hmm.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Default Re: Wireless N and My Neighbor...

he probably has comcast, i get those speeds on my connection.

The spotty connection is probably reading that way because its connecting at the absolute max speed at your range, and that speed is fluctuating. If the signal strength is that low, the adapter will read a connection drop before it will downgrade the speed of the connection. If you really wanted to, and after talking to your neighbor of course, you could manually configure your adapter to acquire N only at a max speed of 130Mbps or even 55Mbps and you would probably have a steady connection.
    I would really like my Thermaltake prizes... Thanks everyone for my wonderful prizes!

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    Too bad it's a super spotty connection. It's only like 1 to 2 bars and it keeps disconnecting constantly. But I suppose that's for the best because I'd probably be hopping onto it all the time for vital updates and what-not. lol
    Dude: WOK-FI.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Well damn. It's a good thing I discovered this because I just got let go for a bull**** reason. Awesome.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Oh no..

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

uh oh...