Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please Help Me Hide My Ide Cables!

Default Please Help Me Hide My Ide Cables!

Like the title says thats the #1 thing i want to take care of for now. Before i sleeve my PSU's cables and stuff I gotta take care of those nasty IDE Cables. Is it possible 2 sleeve them? Is there any good hiding tricks or anything that u guyz could help me with? And also 1 last thing where can i purchase "Split Loom" and those "Braided Cable Sleeve Things" I really want some. Thanks.
    Last edited by Conspiracy; 04-05-2005 at 11:56 PM.

Are they round or flat? if the latter the best bet is to go origami on them and start folding. If you really wanna get slick you can do what I did a long long time ago. Solder the connections directly on the backside of the motherboard, ultimate stealth. If you do that however and destroy your board dont come crying to me. I have done it more than once a few years back on old equipment and it has worked flawlessy. Take your time, be patient and buy lots and lots of soldering tips.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeD
    ...buy lots and lots of soldering tips.
    I have 4 tips for my iron, and they are the same 4 tips I bought when I got the thing. I have a conical to do small surface-mount, small chisel to do larger surface-mount like 1206 package, and I have a medium chisel for small hole-though, and a large chisel for bigger ground plane soldering with through-hole. If you take care of your tips they will last forever. I wrote an article about soldering for POC I never got around to finishing, even if I finished it now I would have no place to post it except maybe in the forums here I guess. I'll give you the main 2 things to keep your tips lasting long
    1) Never and I mean NEVER place a hot soldering iron or tip into or next to anything to try and rapidly cool it down. This is prob the biggest mistake of people, there is a process called thermal shock to metal when you do this, and there is a very very thin coating on the tip called the "solderabality" coating which will peel off when it is so rapidly shocked. The faster way to cool a Iron tip is to place it on an aluminum block, but the best way it to let it cool off in the open air either in a special tip holder or inside the iron itself, this is the longest method but it is the best for the tip and the heating element.

2) ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS place a good amount of solder onto your tip before putting it in a soldering station/stand. This will protect the tip against oxidation, which will also permanently damage a tip. If you place this solder onto the tip it will oxidize and you can wipe it off with a very slightly damp sponge (non-dripping). When using a soldering iron and you notice the tip starts to get a dark gray to the extreme purplish/red color add a little bit of solder and then wipe it clean again on the sponge.
    -Gutte
    No, I'm not a compleate Idiot!
    Some parts are missing.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by Conspiracy
    Like the title says thats the #1 thing i want to take care of for now. Before i sleeve my PSU's cables and stuff I gotta take care of those nasty IDE Cables. Is it possible 2 sleeve them? Is there any good hiding tricks or anything that u guyz could help me with? And also 1 last thing where can i purchase "Split Loom" and those "Braided Cable Sleeve Things" I really want some. Thanks.
    Here's a link to a tutorial I found most helpful. http://www.overclockersclub.com/guid...able_guide.php As with any guide, read the whole thing before you start anything. Make sure you understand what it says. (Sounds silly, but misunderstandings do happen)

As for where to buy split loom. Try Home Depot.
    If you want a sleeving kit, I recommend www.adpmods.com Their support is pretty good, and their prices are fair.

Hope this helps.
    -=-=-=-=-
    When computers collide, Bob is born
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.

Quote Originally Posted by fishies
    If you want a sleeving kit, I recommend www.adpmods.com Their support is pretty good, and their prices are fair.
    Thats nice but doesn't that contradict what you said in an earlier post?

"I am not one to endorse one store over another, unless I'm paid to do so, and I don't like to play favorites."

How much ya getting paid?
    Last edited by ZeD; 04-06-2005 at 10:35 AM.

Overclocked

Why is it you're looking for a fight?
    -=-=-=-=-
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.

Overclocked

Come on guys. relax. take a breather and lets enjoy this great new environment that paul has organized for us. The forum is only as good as its members and if everyone is fighting it will ruin a great atmosphere which this forum can provide.
    Mesh makes the world go around!!!!

Overclocked

Whisp: I'm just trying to help people. Quite frankly, Moderators shouldn't act like this. It makes the site owner look bad.
    -=-=-=-=-

Overclocked

Well lets not worry about it and just move on
    Mesh makes the world go around!!!!

Overclocked

I try, dude. I try.
    -=-=-=-=-