Thread: wanted: a device to convert an analog video output

Fresh Paint

Default wanted: a device to convert an analog video output

I'm looking for someone to make a device to convert the analog video output of a nintendo gamecube into a digital signal to be input directly into a psp screen. If anyone knows how to make such a device please send me a PM.

pcpimper1989(aka John Kahl
    Im a wolf furry....yes that...but remember.....Dont piss me off cause Im running out of places to hide the bodies

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

Default Re: wanted: a device to convert an analog video output

Well, one major problem I see here is that you would need to make a driver board for the PSP screen. I've looked high and low about a year ago and never found anything at all. There is no software involved here, you just need a board to drive the LCD and to convert the signal.

You could make one, but its a very difficult task.

However, this is going off a year old search, maybe something has been done since then. I'd look, but I'm at work. :p

Good luck! Let me know if you figure something out, I have an extra screen that needs moddin'

*Edt: It appears there is some software to use the PSP as a second monitor for your Windows PC, via USB, and apparently there is a way to do it over WiFi. Dunno how well this would work, but if have a video card with an input you could do it that way. However it would probably be better to just use the computer monitor at that point... lol.

-CollinstheClown

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Hmmm, yeah; looking around, it looks like it's possible even to get a stand-alone USB controller (well, not stand-alone, but you don't need the rest of the PSP), but I'm not seeing anything about a controller that accepts standard video inputs. What exactly are you trying to do? Knowing that might help in offering alternatives. Also, are you wanting to use the PSP screen b/c you already have one or because one would suite your needs?

my guess is that he is trying to make a portable gamecube? but then why not just cannibalize one of those pre-made screens for the gamecube? then you dont have to mess around with that crap. lol

Fresh Paint

ok, heres why I asked.... 1. I found a brand new PSP screen for like 5-10 dollars and its a five minute drive from my house to go pick it up. 2. a used gamecube screen is like 50 dollars on ebay and I dont have a credit card. 3. I wanted a smaller screen, the gamecube screen is too big and bulky
    Im a wolf furry....yes that...but remember.....Dont piss me off cause Im running out of places to hide the bodies

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Ah, ok; makes sense. Yeah, I really don't it'd be possible to do the conversion without spending at least the difference. The reason why the gamecube screen is more expensive is because it already includes the controller and power boards. One way to get around the credit card problem is to go get one of those pre-paid Visa check cards (they sell them at gas stations and stuff). It's also a nice way to order stuff anonymously

Another possibility would be to use a similar screen, like the PSOne screen. I'm sure there's something out there cheaper than $50.

Something that was pointed out on one thread I saw was that since the PSP screen is a widescreen resolution (480x272, iirc), it would stretch any 4:3 input you threw at it, unless the controller board you used could deal with that.

its not like the cube could handle 16:9 anyways.... my suggestion... just get the PS1 kit like i did... remove ur cubes rear handle.... and fasten it thro those holes...
    then it will even flip down almost the same way as the PS1 screen was intended...
    i would never waste PSP parts on something like that heh.. u could do sooo much more with the PSP than the game cube..
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.