Thread: Dvd+rw/dvd-rw

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Dvd+rw/dvd-rw

1. What's the difference?
    2. Is it possible to burn movies onto these types of discs and be able to play them on a TV via built-in DVD Player?
    3. Thanks!
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Default Re: Dvd+rw/dvd-rw

Looks like I better go with "-" then. It's some off-brand TV with a built-in player.

Is there a specific way to record movies onto discs for them to play in a DVD player?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Of course there is. It all depends on what kind of movies we are talking about. But most likely this is one of those situations where we probably don't want to go into that here.

What format do movies need to be in to be able to burn them in such a way that they are playable in a DVD player? Also, what's the best program for burning movies onto DVD's?

As a nerd, you would think I would know all of this stuff by now. But I never really did the whole blank disc thing. I skipped right over all of that stuff and went straight to external hard drives for backing up data and what-not. Oh well, I'm just ahead of my time if you ask me. :p

cloneDVD is a good program, basically you need .VOB files or a .iso to do it. This would assume you already have a DVD and no conversion would be necessary. some players will read DVIX or AVI files too... but I doubt your tv's built in one will. heck any DVD burning software should be able to burn your dvd movie.

(this is assuming you are burning a home movie )
    Last edited by OvRiDe; 11-08-2009 at 03:51 AM.

Well DVD is in an Mpeg2 format. As to what format they have to be in.. it depends on the software you are using to convert and burn them to a DVD.

I suggest looking over Doom9, since there are more possibilities then I care to list.

http://www.doom9.org/

Thanks for the help! +rep's on the house. ^_^

Now I just hope my mothers TV supports burned media.