Thread: System Builders

Anodized

Default System Builders

Question?

Can anyone purchace, and use a Microsoft OEM System Builder License?
    Instead of building a system for someone (customer), and do it for your self?
    Reason why I ask is because NewEgg has Win 7 System Bulder OS's for cheaper than regular. Why can't I purchase that if I wanted and build a new system for myslef and install OS?

Curious,

D.

Default Re: System Builders

To purchase an OEM version, you need to buy the system components as well. Some retailers used to let you just buy some internal component to qualify for the OEM, but MS has sort of clamped down on that.

If you were building a new system for yourself, and purchasing all the components, you can buy the OEM OS at the same time with no issues.

Welcome to TBCS!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

I had thought the same thing Luke, but just ooc, I went to NewEgg and tried ordering just the OEM OS, and it didn't complain. Granted, I only went as far as the payment page, but still; I feel like it would knock me down sooner than that if they had a requirement in place.

It looks like the major differences between the normal and OEM licenses this time around are that it's locked to the hardware you originally install it on (no surprise there) and you don't get MS support. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn that previous OEM versions got MS support...

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    I had thought the same thing Luke, but just ooc, I went to NewEgg and tried ordering just the OEM OS, and it didn't complain. Granted, I only went as far as the payment page, but still; I feel like it would knock me down sooner than that if they had a requirement in place.
    I dont think the OP had trouble purchasing it, I understood his post as "what's to stop me from buying OEM?"

I would say "nothing really."

As for the MS support, perhaps that's how they are trying to persuade people to buy retail? They leave the support up to the OEM builder..?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

You can get the family 3-pack upgrade license and do a fresh install with that and phone in and say you had XP installed, which I had to do for 2 XP systems which I did a complete format instead of their backup deal. So if you had a couple of computers and building a new one I'd just buy a 3-pack.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

I have run the last three systems I built with the OEM OS, all bought from Newegg, and all bought with no hardware at all. I've had to activate them more than once due to hardware changes, and never had a problem. I don't want anything to do with "upgrade" operating systems, and I can't see paying nearly double just so I have Microsoft support. OEM just makes sense to me.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”