Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 7 Starter Edition - WTF?!

Default Re: Windows 7 Starter Edition - WTF?!

I'm with you 100% on that Zephik.. that feature almost cost me a sale of a 1005HA. Luckily we got the workaround, showed the customer, and she bought it. Thank God.. what else would we do with a bunch of Pink netbooks? Haha

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

In a way, Microsoft has a bit of a monopoly here. They have pretty much the entire OS market-share. This is why monopolies or anything even semi-resemblant of them are bad, because the consumers always get screwed.

They should just throw in the regular Windows 7 Basic and stop being assholes about it. I mean really, its not like they would be losing money by doing so. Give me ONE good reason as to why they need to or should water down the OS further than the very basic release. They don't save money, they already spent it developing the OS. What the heck are they getting out of doing this?? It can't be trying to force customers to buy the full OS, that would only result in the tiniest sliver more profit. They're netbooks for crying out loud, that's the main reason why people buy them, is because they're cheap, so people aren't going to spend more on upgrading. So if they aren't going to make money by doing this and they aren't losing money by doing this.. why the heck are they doing this?? I MUST be missing something here.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Well, Windows Starter kinda grew out of Windows Embedded, and the original idea was that it was a stripped-down version that would run on simple, weak, or old hardware. Unfortunately, they seem to have lost sight of that with 7 Starter, and tbh I have no clue what they're doing (other than getting money from people who give up and buy Home Premium).

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Well, Windows Starter kinda grew out of Windows Embedded, and the original idea was that it was a stripped-down version that would run on simple, weak, or old hardware. Unfortunately, they seem to have lost sight of that with 7 Starter, and tbh I have no clue what they're doing (other than getting money from people who give up and buy Home Premium).
    Yeahhh. I think the guys behind the whole Starter Edition thing should go back to Novell, where they belong.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Well, Windows Starter kinda grew out of Windows Embedded, and the original idea was that it was a stripped-down version that would run on simple, weak, or old hardware. .....
    I really doubt this. Embedded is a totally different beast targeted at a completely different market. Industrial use, NOT consumer use.

The embedded OS is not stripped down and it was not designed to work on low end hardware. The embedded version of XP has a completely different license agreement as well and when applying for an embedded license agreement, you must state the purpose of that device and it is then reviewed by M$. Part of that license states that the device that the embedded OS is installed in will not be used for general computer use and only for specific tasks. It is a violation of that license to install Office or any other sort of production software unless it is used for that purpose ONLY (ie: a device that is built solely to run crystal reports or database query's). You are also bound by the license to NOT use the system for web browsing...

Most of the time an embedded OS is used on things like robot controllers, industrial computer controllers and medical devices. (or similar devices)

I recently went through the licensing application for Embedded XP with a customer and found all this out. It took 2 weeks for M$ to approve the license and actually sign our customer up for the Embedded program. This is the only way they can continue to purchase XP for the next couple of years (except we bought a couple hundred copies of XP just for them)
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Vista Embedded was the last Embedded version that MS made. Given that, I assumed that Starter had been expanded to fill the roles that Embedded had previously been used for. It looks like there actually was an XP Starter, which I had forgotten about, and according the the almighty Wikipedia, it's purpose was:
    a low-cost introduction to the Microsoft Windows XP operating system designed for first-time desktop PC users in developing countries
    Apparently there were a bunch of other weird restrictions on Vista Starter (it couldn't accept incoming network connections...really MS??? really??), but it looks like they actually loosened it a bit with 7.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

That's why I'm putting Premium on my Eee PC
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Disabling backgrounds doesn't save money, it drives sales by getting people to want to upgrade.

I sell netbooks as well, and I pretty much just tell people don't buy them, they're a waste of money. Our 40% return rate seems to back me up.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08