Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applying for Pawn 1 - Online Only/Resume Required

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Applying for Pawn 1 - Online Only/Resume Required

I'm trying to apply at Pawn 1 as they're the only place around here right now hiring, they even have signs out and everything, but they're online only AND the only way to apply is via sending a resume to their job request email.

Problem 1: I've never made a resume before.
    Problem 2: I don't even know where to start.

So, I was wondering if I can get a little bit of combined community help here? It'd be much appreciated! I really need a job and ASAP, I might not even have a place to live here within the next 2 months or so. So them being the only place hiring right now AND it's literally right down the road from me, it would be perfect location and perfect timing for me.

Thanks very much! I really appreciate any and all help. This means A LOT to me.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Default Re: Applying for Pawn 1 - Online Only/Resume Required

http://www.pongoresume.com/services/...me-builder.cfm
    I'm not sure how far along the creation process is free but if they try to make you pay to print it or something, just print-screen and drop it in photoshop. Just google 'free resume template' to find other similar sites. Good luck man.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Word also has a resume template you can use.

Don't put anything in your resume that can identify:
    or any other personal information besides email and of course address and phone number.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

How Big's Your Mouth?! gaz_the_chav's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    Word also has a resume template you can use.

Don't put anything in your resume that can identify:
    or any other personal information besides email and of course address and phone number.
    Amen. I don't know about you guys (in the USA) but here in the UK everything now is about diversity. Hmmmm I think I got the jist of what you was saying Terry?!

-gaz

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

I think he was getting that technically it's illegal for an employer to ask any of that stuff in the US because of anti-discrimination laws...not saying it doesn't happen, but they have to come up with a better reason, and it might increase your chances of getting an interview if you don't give them the chance to do a little pre-screening on those points.

For a resume, the general info you want to include is:

Previous jobs:
    - employment period
    - what you did there
    - skills you gained there

Related Experience: (if applicable..might not be in this case)
    - self-explanatory

Education:
    - where/when

Something that is sometimes added on is interests/hobbies, but I feel like this is kinda outside of what they need to know and generally unprofessional.

Another thing that I didn't realize for the longest time is that you don't need to include references on your resume. If the employer wants them, they'll either ask for them outright, or if/when you get an interview, just make sure you bring a sheet with them printed out on it.

Quote Originally Posted by gaz_the_chav View Post
    Amen. I don't know about you guys (in the USA) but here in the UK everything now is about diversity. Hmmmm I think I got the jist of what you was saying Terry?!

-gaz
    In the US, it is about lawsuits.

When I was working at SGI, if any resumes came in with any of the above info, they were thrown out asap. The reasoning was that if we acknowledged the resume and did not hire the person, they could sue for discrimination. (and some did exactly that)

x88x Hit the nail on the head. The information provided is also accurate. x88x is also correct in stating not to put your references on your resume. Also, be SURE to ask permission to use someone as a reference. You would be surprised at how many people put in a reference that gives a bad reference or like one guy we interviewed, he put one of his customers as a reference and when we called (we always call), the guy got upset that his name was being used without permission and gave the guy a horrible reference.

Needing some help in a few areas...

Objective: I'm not sure what to put here or at the very least, I'd like some help so I can put down the best answer possible.

Experience: Is it better to leave this blank sometimes? or should I put down everything? For example, my most recent employment I was only there for a little over a month and they're the ones who let me go, so should I include that or no? What about... from September 2008 to January 2009 I was a dishwasher but I ended up leaving because of distance issues. Should I include that or leave it out?

Accomplishments: Uhhh? lol I'm not even sure what to put here. I'm not even sure if there IS anything to put here...

Related Coursework: ?

Interests: Another "?".

Keyword Summary: Yet another "?".
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    Needing some help in a few areas...

Objective: Something like: "To obtain a job in the -blank- industry where I can utilize my -blank- experience and grow my skills doing -blank-. (personally I leave this one out as it always ends up sounding weird)

Experience: Put down your experience listed reverse chronologically. If you leave something out, be prepared for a question like: "what were you doing between these dates?". If you put down a job you were let go from, do not try to hide why you were let go. If it was your fault (like not showing up for work) you can explain what happened when you get the interview. NEVER PUT THE REASON FOR LEAVING ON YOUR RESUME. If it is asked on the application, tell the truth.

Accomplishments: Are you proud of something you did at one of your jobs? List it here even if it is minor.

Related Coursework: Are there any classes you took in school (high school even) that relates to this job (consumer math, etc...)

Interests: Working with people, computers, Modding...

Keyword Summary: This is really for adding keywords like what a search engine would find. If you do put stuff here, make sure it is relevant to the position you are applying for. I would leave it out myself.

Hope this helps!

Remember that the SOLE purpose of a resume is to get an interview. Looks matter. Do NOT use odd fonts, or colors. Give them just enough information to pique their interest and call you in. Study your resume and be prepared to expand on anything you put in it. I have several versions of my resume. One for seeking jobs as a personal chef, 2 just for system administration and one for program management. There are also 2 versions of each resume. One I send or give to potential employers and one for my eyes only with massive amounts of detail so I have the info in one place. For example one of them I use for system administration that is for a potential employer is 2 pages long. The same resume for my eyes only is 10 pages long and has all the managers names, phone numbers and references for a specific job I had.
    Last edited by Airbozo; 11-19-2009 at 04:18 PM.

Objective: Something like: "To obtain a job in the -blank- industry where I can utilize my -blank- experience and grow my skills doing -blank-. (personally I leave this one out as it always ends up sounding weird) What kind of industry would you call Pawn 1? Sales? And I'm not sure if I have any relevant skills here? I really don't have any experience with sales, this job would be pretty much my first.

Experience: Put down your experience listed reverse chronologically. If you leave something out, be prepared for a question like: "what were you doing between these dates?". If you put down a job you were let go from, do not try to hide why you were let go. If it was your fault (like not showing up for work) you can explain what happened when you get the interview. NEVER PUT THE REASON FOR LEAVING ON YOUR RESUME. If it is asked on the application, tell the truth. Got it. But should I put down a job where I was only there for a month? or should I just leave that out?

Accomplishments: Are you proud of something you did at one of your jobs? List it here even if it is minor. I've washed dishes and I've made pizza. Not exactly stuff to be particularly proud about. Should I just leave it blank or? I really have no idea what to put down here.

Related Coursework: Are there any classes you took in school (high school even) that relates to this job (consumer math, etc...) Nothing that relates to this job. I've taken typing classes, computer classes and pottery. Other than that though, just the basic stuff.

Interests: Working with people, computers, Modding... Should I list my interests just like that or?

Thanks for the help so far everyone! We're really going to have to stretch this dough thin I think, but maybe we can eventually end up with something halfway presentable. lol

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Always always always list previous employment. Employed for a month is better than not employed at all.

If the resume is sent as a companion to an application, if the application is for a specific job, then I would actually leave out the 'Purpose' section. This is advice I've gleaned from listening to a few of my bosses talk about people they're interviewing, so not just my opinion

Instead of related coursework, for a retail job maybe list related skills, like...ok, so I can't think of anything off the top of my head...I've never actually worked retail, so I guess I'm not the best one to ask about that.

Like 'Related Skills', 'Interests' is one of those that is sometimes left in, sometimes taken out, sometimes modified. My rule of thumb is that if I were interviewing me for the job, would I care? For example, if I'm interviewing you for a job as a fry-cook, I'm not gonna care that you develop video games in you spare time and taught yourself LISP last summer...if I'm interviewing you for a software development job, then I will...if I'm interviewing you for a helpdesk job, then I might.

Basically, anything that you think might help your case in any way, put it in.