Thread: Wired or Wireless Keyboard and Mouse for Gaming

Default Wired or Wireless Keyboard and Mouse for Gaming

Seams like a noob question i know but here is the deal. Since we moved into our apartment my computer and its 24" monitor have been out tv. (I have a capture card and a bunch of ripped dvds and stuff on it,) It is also my primary gaming platform. So my desk is located in the corner of the livingroom directly across from the couch so when im not gaming at the desk i can use my media center remote to watch movies and what not from the couch.

Last night we finally bought a real tv, 46" Sony Bravia 120hz 1080p, it has now taken its place on top of my desk and has created an interesting problem for me. that being that now i cant comfortably sit at my desk and play games . The ideal location now would be on the couch but unfortunately my saitek eclipse keyboard and Logitech g5 mouse wont reach.

So i have two options one, go wireless, Ive been looking at the Logitec Wave Pro combo as it comes with the MX 1100 mouse and i like how it feels but its max dpi is only 1600 compared to my g5s 2000 dpi. Also i was thinking about going with a Microsoft X8 wireless mouse but im not to big of a fan of how it looks and i haven't had a chance to hold it yet. But if i go with that i'll have to get a separate keyboard. Id like to here your opinions/personal experiences with any of these products and or recommendations, they would be most helpful

the second option is to keep my current peripherals and rig up some kind of extension, i'm thinking of mounting a powered usb hub to the coffee table so that i can plug them both in there and be able to play from the couch. My concern from this is i know usb will degrade over distances and i will probably need atleast an 18 to 20 ft usb cable to go between the hub and the computer.

So my question here is under the circumstances which would be a better route with gaming in mind. Wireless offers alot of flexibility but i feel like it may leave me wanting in the gaming area and im not sure if the wired option will work under the circumstances as i don't know enough about usb.

Thanks guys.

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

Default Re: Wired or Wireless Keyboard and Mouse for Gaming

Don't quote me but I think USN is fine as long as you stay under 30 feet. Then you need powered connectors to keep the signal going. Wireless is nice but I've noticed, and this might be just my setup, that playing game that require constant button pushes, WOW, HL2, etc. I get a pause in the button push so if I'm running from something it will stop me and I have to unpress the key and press it again real fast. I think this could be a USB thing because it does it too when I plug my PS2 keyboard into the PS2/USB adapter and I still get the pause. I would go wireless myself because 85% if my games are strategy games so not to much button mashing.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."