Thread: "Stretched" case?

Default "Stretched" case?

Hey everyone.
    Still working de-alienating my alienware, but had a quick question. Has anyone ever seen a stretched case? I mean this in the stretched limo, cut out the middle and add a few extra inches type of sense. I am sure it has been done somewhere, just haven't been able to find it. Any tips or possible caveats you guys can think of? Thanks all, and more updates to the current project coming soon.

(I am delaying doing some actual work cause it is REALLY cold outside) Guess I can't delay anymore...
    time to become pure_rock_frozen
    ***Impossible means it will just take more time***

Default Re: "Stretched" case?

The only thing that will be aking this difficult I think would be trying to line up the riser holes again. and if you tig welded it back together then you would need to sand down the welds on the outside of the case. That is if you know how to tig weld...i sure don't, maybe a more efficient way would be to mig weld it, since it doesn't have to be of tig strength and price... or just not weld it at all and rivet it back together. Any way that you can do it as long as it holds and you can pick it up without it falling apart. alrighty

P.S. to cold??? tooo cooold???? where are you from? and how cold is too cold?

Good point Jetty,
    As for lining up the mobo risers, I was intending on taking the tray out of the case. Basically stripping the case to individual parts and cutting the mobo tray off to the side so that the part the board will actually sit on will be the original piece. I dont know how to tig either, or mig for that matter. I am sure I could struggle through it with the proper gear, but I dont think a welding outfit will be in the budget the way this project is growing. (It started as a paint job lol) I was intending to use a lil JB on it and sand the snot out of it.

As for cold, it was low 20's before wind (and lots of it) I was dressed nice and warm, but could'nt wear warm gloves because they were too clumsy.

I live in a small townhouse and the garage is stuffed with misc boxes and the like. The way that this mild-mannered paint job is turning into a full blown mod, I think next weekend is going to be devoted to creating a work station in the garage. I think this mod is going to get added to the existing "2-year itch" that I am working on else-where in this forum, and I am growing increasingly curious about water cooling. And I have often wondered what it would take to run a second PSU in a comp, and I think that this case would look cool with a bent window... and... and... oh dear I think I have been reading these forums too much. You guys infected me with the "If it ain't broke, make it better" bug

Fresh Paint

A mate and i are working on the same idea but we are chopping just infront of the mobo plate if that helps.

And if you cant weld man try a welding works. My first weld job cost me only 7 bucks.

ATX Mental Case

you could hold one side of the case and a friend the other. then run in opposite directions as fast as you can. that should solve your stretch problem. jk. good idea i want to see it done.
    Comp Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 939 3200+
    ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
    2x 1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
    100GB HDD 7200 RPM SATA
    2x in SLI, 7600 GT 256 MB
    500W PSU

Well whatever ideas you would like to seriously implement on this mod post them up and check the feedback that you get before you start would be my suggestion. modding is mainly altering something that isn't neccisarily meant to be altered. therefore it's really easy to run into problems. more then likely someone will have some insightful input on the topic. and as for cold...you have to be kidding me....it's minus 20 here...ya Canada..... anyways good luck and happy modding

On the case that I have the mobo plate goes from front to back, There isn't another piece of sheet metal behind it for structure, just a brace. I think I will have to chop the plate up near the drive bays so that the cut and stretch will be off to the side of the board when it goes back together. Not 100% how it will turn out, but I'll never know until I try. Found a semi-cheap break online and am going to pick one up and try my hand at bending. Once I get going again, I'll probably combine this thread and my "2 year itch" thread into one work log for easier reading and easier posting.

I was running through a PSU calculator I found on the web and it was saying I needed nearly a 700w PSU for the multitude of things I plan on throwing in this case (SLI, dual pump water cooling, lights... etc) A quick search showed a few PSU's that I didn't really care for. How difficult is it to do a dual job with these? I would like to use a pair of modulars to keep it clean, and low noise is always a plus. Any ideas? Thanks guys

PS-- Jetty, -20 is way to cold for me... I'd move lol. Normally a +20 day wouldn't bother me except sitting on the concrete trying to cut stuff up with no gloves... man I need a shop space lol.