Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Watercooling pump question

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Watercooling pump question

Yeah, I know running the cooling for the cards in parallel will give better cooling, but I don't think there will be space to put in the connections to do that.

The reason for using the GTX295 is that with the software we're currently thinking of using, CUDA support is required, and the GTX295 is currently the most powerful CUDA card on the market.

I'll most more details once (if) it gets finalized, but for now it's still in the proposal stage.

here is a pic of slot to slot parallel will work, swifty uses there short barbs with a piece of tubing in between, but i would grab the DD sli fittings, or bp sli fittings, links below.

Danger Den sli fitting

Bits power small sli

Bits power medium sli

Bits power large sli
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Oooh, that kind of parallel... ok, that makes sense.

What is this machine going to be doing with all this power?..and 4 to 5 rads!?! Wow! You should figure out how much heat you need to dissipate and then find out how much each rad can dissipate (allegedly, according to the salesman)...that will tell you how many rads you need. It might be easier to sell the idea to your boss if you have some hard numbers anyway...especially if s/he doesn't understand them!

For example:
    This rad claims to dissipate 6875 BTU per hour...whether it's true or marketing hype is not something I can say for sure. It's just a little guy so, to be on the safe side, I'll bet it dissipates 60% of that: 4125 BTU/hour. Converted to watts here, it's safe to assume it dissipates at least 1208 watts/hour. Depending on how efficient the 295's are, only a bit of the total electrical wattage will be converted to heat energy. A GTX 295 peaks at 289 watts...x 4 = 1156 watts. So even if the cards were 0% efficient and converted 100% of the electricity to heat, that one rad would dissipate it...This is still assuming that the manufacturer is a self-promoting liar regarding the 6875 BTUs in the first place. So it should easily cool those cards with muscle left to flex. I'd personally get two just to make sure though...because who knows what unholy fans/turbines they strapped to that rad to obtain that maximum dissipation measurement. And I'm not trying to sell you on a specific rad...I'm just saying you don't need 5! (...unless they'll be passive...are they passive?) Then again, if it's corporate budget, I'd like to see 5 monster rads and what you'd do with them...

PS. If someone more knowledgeable than I says that I made a mistake then I most likely did...
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    What is this machine going to be doing with all this power?..and 4 to 5 rads!?! Wow! You should figure out how much heat you need to dissipate and then find out how much each rad can dissipate (allegedly, according to the salesman)...that will tell you how many rads you need. It might be easier to sell the idea to your boss if you have some hard numbers anyway...especially if s/he doesn't understand them!

For example:
    This rad claims to dissipate 6875 BTU per hour...whether it's true or marketing hype is not something I can say for sure. It's just a little guy so, to be on the safe side, I'll bet it dissipates 60% of that: 4125 BTU/hour. Converted to watts here, it's safe to assume it dissipates at least 1208 watts/hour. Depending on how efficient the 295's are, only a bit of the total electrical wattage will be converted to heat energy. A GTX 295 peaks at 289 watts...x 4 = 1156 watts. So even if the cards were 0% efficient and converted 100% of the electricity to heat, that one rad would dissipate it...This is still assuming that the manufacturer is a self-promoting liar regarding the 6875 BTUs in the first place. So it should easily cool those cards with muscle left to flex. I'd personally get two just to make sure though...because who knows what unholy fans/turbines they strapped to that rad to obtain that maximum dissipation measurement. And I'm not trying to sell you on a specific rad...I'm just saying you don't need 5! (...unless they'll be passive...are they passive?) Then again, if it's corporate budget, I'd like to see 5 monster rads and what you'd do with them...

PS. If someone more knowledgeable than I says that I made a mistake then I most likely did...
    think those numbers are off.

here is a review for the XSPC RX 360 rad, it can dissipate almost 1200 watts with fans at 2800RPM and an water in air out delta of 15C

so in theory it can dissipate the heat for 4 cards (using mdust's numbers). but there is overclocking and decent temps to keep in mind. and those are loud fans too.

so practically speaking 2-3 triples is best for this job.
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Sig quoted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Thanks for the advice on rads; tbh, 5 was just a guess without drawing up any numbers yet. Though if we go with this setup it would be 7 GTX295s, not 4.

As for what all this is for...I'm not sure how much detail I can go into, but suffice it to say we need as much CUDA processing power as possible in one system.

Granted if this does go through it'll probably be a few months, but I'll be sure and update when I know.

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Granted if this does go through it'll probably be a few months, but I'll be sure and update when I know.
    PLEASE!

if this thing gets built you HAVE to show it off... thats just like proper pc etiquette.

Quote Originally Posted by x88x
    Though if we go with this setup it would be 7 GTX295s, not 4.
    7!!!? *Passes out*

...what the hell? I always thought the maximum number of cards in SLI was 4...but I guess that's just because nobody has really crammed more than that in a mobo...that I've seen anyway. Or are all the cards going to just be running independently? Either way, this thing will be a monster, so be careful around it. I'd hate for it to tear a hole in space-time...

Oh, and can you say where you work? I'm going to be wondering about this thing all day now...

Quote Originally Posted by Trace
    Sig quoted.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

7!!!? *Passes out*

...what the hell? I always thought the maximum number of cards in SLI was 4...but I guess that's just because nobody has really crammed more than that in a mobo...that I've seen anyway. Or are all the cards going to just be running independently? Either way, this thing will be a monster, so be careful around it. I'd hate for it to tear a hole in space-time...
    Check the link for the MBB in the OP; there's actually two MBBs available now with 7 PCIe x16 slots...and they can run 4 at a time at full PCIe 2.0 x16 speeds, so 1 at 16x and 6 at 8x. And yeah, they will be run independently; what they will be used for doesn't benefit from SLI.

Oh, and can you say where you work? I'm going to be wondering about this thing all day now...
    I'm not sure I'm allowed to do that...they get real weird about non-US-citizens (which are plentiful on the internets ).