Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No signal?

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: No signal?

/\ This. It's in the same block as the power button and stuff, and the MBB may have come with one that you can plug in.

"Lemme Sho' Ya' Sumtin!!!" - FMB

Yea, i think i could try that. I also tried booting it out of case and same thing....no signal.
    Project: Archangel Complete
    Project: Patron W.I.P
    Phenom II X3 710 2.6ghz, MSI 785GTM-E45, 2x2gb Kingston 800mhz, Hitachi 320gb HDD, OCZ StealthXStream 400w

Are you using the vga or dvi input on the monitor? Some monitors are not auto switching, and need to be manually told which input to check.

Second, can you boot the system with the video card not inserted, and the monitor attached to the onboard video port?

Last, have you tried reseating the ram?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Yea, it's vga only on the monitor.
    I tried a couple times with onboard and nothing happened.
    I checked the MBB to see if it was bad and it beeped when i took out the RAM and i have tried to check if the DIMM slots were bad but still no signal.
    Phenom II X3 710 2.6ghz, MSI 785GTM-E45, 2x2gb Kingston 800mhz, Hitachi 320gb HDD, OCZ StealthXStream 400w

Quote Originally Posted by Locum51 View Post
    I checked the MBB to see if it was bad and it beeped when i took out the RAM and i have tried to check if the DIMM slots were bad but still no signal.
    Sorry if this sounds insulting, but the wording here freaked me out...you turned off the system, took the RAM out, then when you powered it back on it beeped, right? ..because that's totally not what it sounded like the first time I read it...

If the MBB does the RAM beep with no RAM, but not with the RAM you have, it's probably not the RAM.

I should have suggested this first, but try taking out everything except for the MBB, CPU, and RAM, and see if it works. If it does, add things till it doesn't. Specifically I'm wondering what it does without the video card in there.

Also, does the MBB have an error-code LED thing on it? If so, that would be very helpful in pinpointing the error.

Sorry for the wording...but the only thing i can think of that might be something is that the MBB led blinks when the RAM is in.
    But when the RAM is not in it does not, it is a constant no blinking.

Yes i've tried using just the essentials and still nothing.
    I've tried using the video card and nothing happened.
    I've switched to the onboard and still nothing.
    I've cleared CMOS settings with the battery and the switch...nothing.
    I checked the processor for any bent pins and it's perfect but still no signal.

PSU maybe? 400w may not be enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Locum51 View Post
    Sorry for the wording...but the only thing i can think of that might be something is that the MBB led blinks when the RAM is in.
    But when the RAM is not in it does not, it is a constant no blinking.
    Ah, ok. Yeah, it's just that the first time I read your first post about pulling out the RAM it sounded like you pulled out the RAM while it was running and then it started beeping (worst thing is I've actually seen someone try to do that )

400W should be plenty. At this point, my thought is that the MBB is bad.

Wow, yea i wouldn't try pulling the RAM out while it was running. haha.

Yea, i thought 400w would be plenty too. The MSI tech said that i should have at least 450w with at least 18A for it to be stable and i was like what?
    I'm thinking i should RMA it.

Well, I can kinda see where the tech was going, and more is always better...400W is more than enough, especially with the video card out. According to the OuterVision PSU calculator, without the video card, your system should only need a 144W PSU. I forget what the GPU you got was, but I seem to remember it was upper Radeon 4000 series? With a 4870, it says you only need a 261W PSU. Granted, I like to always add an additional 20-30% onto these estimates, but 400W should be more than enough for your system, especially with a high quality PSU like yours.

If the PSU were dead nothing would happen when you tried to power it on, so I'm pretty sure it's not that. Really, the more I think about it, the more I think it's the MBB that's bad. Either that, or the BIOS version on the board doesn't support your CPU. Check with MSI on that, and if it is supported, I would say the MBB is bad.

EDIT:
    Just thought of this, but make sure all the additional power connectors are hooked up (ie, 4 or 8 pin CPU power, etc). It shouldn't do anything at all if they aren't plugged in, but just to make sure.

All connections were quadruple checked...it was plugged in. I think i'm gonna switch to a 785GM-E65 which supports my CPU.

Correct me if i'm wrong but i don't see my board on this list for CPU support list: 785GTM-E45 http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=cpuform2