Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 141920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: --- r e f l e X i o n ---

Default Re: --- r e f l e X i o n ---

Quote Originally Posted by Okele View Post
    Ive been following this build for months, anyway question on the dovetail with the lexan. Would the dovetail also work as a seal to prevent leaks? like from mineral oil and such?
    From a wood working perspective.....yes, but only to be trusted with a sealant or gasket. Adjoining materials being flush do not always account for an "air-tight" seal. It is always recommended that you use a sealant or gasket when building any type of structure that is made to hold water or be air-tight. Besides, when working with computers all it takes is one drop of water to ruin the whole project. Granted mineral oil is a different monster in comparison to water, and plexi is a different monster in comparison to wood...but I would just assume play it safe when it comes to any types of liquids.

If someone has done the dovetail alone to seal liquid I would love to see how you went about it.
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man. "
    -Henry David Thoreau-

-Told You So Studios

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Starlite KNight View Post
    I think I remember my Father flaming acrylic stuff when I worked at his place a couple of summers. He works at the company that makes the bakery cabinets for places like Horny Tim's.

I found some info on flaming edges:

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Ple...ishing_Charges has some warnings but you won't be silk screening. lol

http://www.ehow.com/how_5075416_poli...glas-edge.html Another short page.
    Thanks, Starlite. I'll check those out.

Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    I used t owork in a sign shop and we did flame edge on some plexi signs, the best advice is use some scraps and practice. The smother that the edge is the easier it is. It's a combination of the right flame/heat and distance from the plexi combined with keeping the flame moving. With pratice it gets pretty easy to get consitant results. From the attention to detail that you've shown, it shouldn't be a problem for you.
    Yep, best to smooth the edge first.

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    I used the tried and true sand then buff with dremel and novus plastic polish method
    That's the second time I've heard of the Novus polish, so I'll have to pick some up.

Quote Originally Posted by Okele View Post
    Ive been following this build for months, anyway question on the dovetail with the lexan. Would the dovetail also work as a seal to prevent leaks? like from mineral oil and such?
    Quote Originally Posted by burntheland View Post
    From a wood working perspective.....yes, but only to be trusted with a sealant or gasket. Adjoining materials being flush do not always account for an "air-tight" seal. It is always recommended that you use a sealant or gasket when building any type of structure that is made to hold water or be air-tight. Besides, when working with computers all it takes is one drop of water to ruin the whole project. Granted mineral oil is a different monster in comparison to water, and plexi is a different monster in comparison to wood...but I would just assume play it safe when it comes to any types of liquids.

If someone has done the dovetail alone to seal liquid I would love to see how you went about it.
    Good info.

ATX Mental Case

My sleeving came in as I mentioned, along with my fans. So here are some pics from last night's photo session.

Love Nils' drawings. The space theme made me smile.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

mmm tasty

oh and on the Novus - get #3 and #2, 3 is coarse, 2 is semi-fine. #1 is just a general cleaner, doesn't do too much as a "polishing" compound per se

Check out my Rockin Case build, theres some shots of the results I got with it there

ATX Mental Case

mmm tasty

oh and on the Novus - get #3 and #2, 3 is coarse, 2 is semi-fine. #1 is just a general cleaner, doesn't do too much as a "polishing" compound per se

Check out my Rockin Case build, theres some shots of the results I got with it there
    Cool. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to pick up some of this tomorrow. Where do you usually get yours? I'm hoping that my local chains have it and I don't have to order it online.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

most motorcycle shops will carry it as its popular with the dirt bike/atv crowd for fixing small scuffs in the plastics. They might have to order it, but can definitely get it. If you cant find it let me know and I'll get it for you from my shop and send it out

every time i look at photos of this build my pants get tighter....wtf? lol
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man. "
    -Henry David Thoreau-

-Told You So Studios

ATX Mental Case

most motorcycle shops will carry it as its popular with the dirt bike/atv crowd for fixing small scuffs in the plastics. They might have to order it, but can definitely get it. If you cant find it let me know and I'll get it for you from my shop and send it out
    Thanks. I ended up ordering some off ebay. Should be here next week.

Quote Originally Posted by burntheland View Post
    every time i look at photos of this build my pants get tighter....wtf? lol
    Afraid I can't answer that one.

ATX Mental Case

Not a lot of progress has happened with the build in the last week as I've been quite busy at my job. In the interim, here's another sleeving pic.

Tease.
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field