Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: --- r e f l e X i o n ---

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: --- r e f l e X i o n ---

Quote Originally Posted by Couch3ater View Post
    Grats on the new sponsor!

On another note: If you're using the weld-on to bond two faces of plexi together, sometimes you'll be left with an almost bubbly "in-between", if you will, as is the case with many a bonding solvent. I'm sure with the right amount you can get what you're looking for; just speaking from what I've noticed and past experiences.
    Yep, I've seen the effect that it has. I'm just using it to bond at the seam and being careful not to let it spread too much.

I see. Well, in that case, very nice! ^_^
    "Don't imitate the world; Create your own."

ATX Mental Case

Project Update: Building the Zero Gravity Drives

So, I've been pondering the idea that I originally had for the Zero Gravity Drives (weightless SSDs) and I just wasn't happy with all those metal brackets that were attached to them as seen in the above render. The original idea was fine because it was based on a closed system, meaning the observer could only see the exterior of the chamber or what showed through the four windows. This would hide them. But then.. yep, you guessed it. My brain got going again, and I thought to myself, "what would be awesome is if I showcased the inside and somehow made it look like all the components inside it were floating."

To me, that would continue to enhance the theme of the build.

So, how would I accomplish this? Well, immediately two things came to mind. 1) Magnets and 2) Glass.

"1" seemed slightly dangerous considering we're dealing with electronic components that store data on them. As a buddy of mine said to me when I had this crazy idea, magnetism can sometimes be a mystery, and I wanted none of that. So, the obvious was option #2. Plexiglass.

I then went to sketch out my new idea in 3dsMax and redo some of the earlier renders. And this is what I came up with:

As you can see, I've redesigned the mount for the SSDs. Instead of bulky metal brackets sticking out on both top and bottom, I have them mounting directly to a large pane of plexi which will run directly down the center of the chamber. The plexi pane will be notched to fit snugly into the shelves and then will be secured with Weld-on.

Here are some more shots:

I think that it looks MUCH better and hope you'll agree. Should look much cleaner and fit the theme much better.

For the drives, the mounting mechanism will be the same. They will simply screw through the plexi pane. The pane will be supported by the two shelves which are held in place by small L brackets that are mounted to the inside chamber walls.

So, then I went to work on creating notches to fit this new piece. For the job, I broke out my RotoZip again, but this time, after the last experience with the infamous knotty plywood, I decided to use aluminum angles to give me a straighter edge (Thanks, Charles!)

By clamping the aluminum angles in place at the width of the jig guide, I can hold the RotoZip firmly in place while routing so that it won't drift.

That was just a test piece to see how well the cutting bit I was using would perform. It turned out to be a little too large for what I need, so I'll be heading to the Depot tomorrow for a smaller bit.

Thanks for checking in.

-X

OOOOOOOOOO......... This is gonna look kewl as all get out! Can't wait to see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

go really slow when you cut, even though the roto zip is steady, the bit will still wander on its own. I had the same issue when I was using a spiral bit to cut my plexi

thats a good idea with the clamped alum angle! I will have to steal that idea in the future
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    OOOOOOOOOO......... This is gonna look kewl as all get out! Can't wait to see it.
    Thanks, msmrx57.

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    go really slow when you cut, even though the roto zip is steady, the bit will still wander on its own. I had the same issue when I was using a spiral bit to cut my plexi
    Yep, the RZ is powerful, which is the reason I used the clamped aluminum angles as shown in the pics. These are clamped firmly against the edge guide on the RZ to keep it from wandering. It's worked well and has allowed me to cut in a straight line.

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat333 View Post
    thats a good idea with the clamped alum angle! I will have to steal that idea in the future
    Thanks!

I'll hopefully be picking up some 1/8" perspex today to continue working on that vertical plexi pane. The smallest cutting bit that I've been able to find is 1/8", and the only plexi that I have is .093" in thickness, which won't work because it's not thick enough to provide a snug fit after the notches are cut in. The cutting bit and the perspex thickness must be the same size for a snug fit.

As long as I can find this today (I have a local glass shop that I source for this,) then I see no problem in having the chamber finished by middle to end of this week.

I really love your Idea of zero grav. and your eye for perfection

ATX Mental Case

Ask me why I'm happy.

I'm happy because I'm beginning to see the finish line. It's been a trying past two months designing, fabricating and then re-designing and re-fabricating (are either of those words?) this part, but now I'm entering the final stages, and I can see it being completed within the next few days.

I'm extremely excited about how it's all starting to look and am looking forward to share it with you all. I really feel that it meshes with the theme extremely well.

Just to review, this was where I had last left off with it. The redesign of the center glass panel which would serve in place of the prior metal L-brackets:

So, let's get started.

At my workbench a few days ago. Here, I was lining up possible drillpoints for the drives. I wanted them spaced far enough apart so they would be distinct objects and appear as if they were floating independently of each other.

First test mount.

Hmm, that was too close. Let's move it down a little.

Much better. This will be a nice fit in the side window. The space between the drives is 3/4".

They'll be centered in the windows an inch off the top and bottom.

Ok, so now that I knew the spacing, I laid out all measurements on my center glass panel to mark the drillpoints.

The large blue piece to the left is the center panel w/ protective blue covering. The two pieces to the right are the two shelves. Due to the redesign of the chamber, I had to cut two more shelves. I'll explain why a little later.

On the press and drilling the holes. There were eight holes in total to drill, two for each SSD. The holes are 1/8".

And.. all the holes are now drilled.

Time to peel off the protective layer to see how clean they came out.

A beautiful, clear piece of perspex (needs some cleaning, though.)

That looks better. To attach the SSDs to the perspex, I'll use a small allen wrench and 4/32 MDPC screws. The screws that I picked up from Nils were perfect for this. They were just the right size, and plus they're black, so they blend in perfectly with the drives.

I'll break out my surgical gloves to avoid fingerprints. Regardless, I think I must've Windexed this piece about 37 times over the past few days.

Attaching the first SSD.

Looking good so far. Time for the next one.

And the next.

(Continued in next post.)

ATX Mental Case

A view from the front. The effect is starting to manifest.

All four drives attached.

And now... FINALLY... the near-completed Zero Gravity Chamber!

Here you can see the bottom compartment for the PSU.

Some close-ups of the drives.

Of course, this will all look nicer once it's powdercoated. The plan is to powdercoat the entire interior in "Starlight Black" so as to give the effect that you're looking into space. Both the interior and the exterior of the chamber, as well as the rest of the interior of the case frame, will be painted this color.

Next on the agenda is to notch the shelves in place with the centerpiece and then weld them in place with solvent cement. Then, the Zero-G Chamber is officially finished, and it's onto the next stage of the project.

Lighting.