Thread: Need some ideas on modding... This is my first modding experience.

Fresh Paint

Smile Need some ideas on modding... This is my first modding experience.

Hi, well after taking my very old scanner apart to get the cathode out of it, I found out that it's broken ( Cracked right in half ). But I did manage to get like 3 or 4 mirrors out of it. I also found some other parts in the scanner. Is there anything that I could do with the parts inside the scanner that I could mod into my computer? With the mirrors, I am thinking that I have to do something with light. I currently have two LED lights shining on my processor. I'm like completely out of ideas. I installed a blow hole on the top of my computer and put two led at the base of the fan to make it look cool. It really doesn't give the fan any effect, but it still looks cool. Also, I've installed a switch on the top of my computer that controls the blowhole fan, and the lights that shine on my CPU. My case is pretty much well lit with three blue fans. But, does anyone have any ideas of anything else that I can mod? Maybe something with the mirrors, or any of the parts that I found inside my scanner?

Thanks,

Marc Jacklitch
    http://socjolog.strefa.pl/
    I will be posting some pictures of my first modding experience later on. Right now I am in school so I have no way of accessing the pictures.
    Read the TOS for rules concerning links in signatures...

Rankenphile

Default Re: Need some ideas on modding... This is my first modding experience.

Off hand, I can't tell you exactly what parts you can use for your case, because I don't know what kind of case you're building, if there is a theme running throughout it, etc.

One thing I do know, however, is that a real modder/modeller never throws anything away that can be used again. The gears in your scanner can be used for all sorts of things, either mechanical or visual decoration. The mirrors can be used to reflect light into dark corners or redirect light away from something you don't want shown. The drive track can be used for a moving part on a later project. The power supply could be used to provide electricity to a future project (the power supplies for scanners are notoriously stable in most models, if you can find specs for them, because they provide cannot waver when the load changes from the motor stopping, starting and changing speeds). The motors in the scanner are great, too, if you can find ways to implement them. They tend to run very accurately and precisely, if you can program for them.

The real message here is save everything you can that you think may come in handy one day. Keep organized, and try to have a place for everything, as a super-cluttered work area makes everything harder, but having a good collection of bits and odds and ends tends to lead to very inspired and inspiring work. Do a search for some kit-bashing and scratchbuilding for more info on what I mean. It's incredible what some people build out of common household items.

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Need some ideas on modding... This is my first modding experience.

Thanks for the reply. You gave me a great idea with that moving scanner part. What would you use it for? I've been reading this post now for about fifteen minutes to see if I could come up with anything to use the motor with. I'm blank. My case really has no theme. I just want to make it look really cool. So if I were to pick a theme, it would be "just to make it look cool " Are there any websites where i can mod my computer from household items?
    Read the TOS for rules concerning links in signatures...