Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calculatior Mod Version 3.0

Default Calculatior Mod Version 3.0

Ok well, a few months ago my trusty TI-83 plus Silver Edition that I had for 5 years finally died on me, leaving me with a glowing blue paper weight from my last Calc mod Blue Calculator Of Death.

So to replace my trusty ol' calc I went out and bought me a new TI-84 Plus Silver Edition.

Now ever since I bought it I have wanted to mod it because queit frankly, it looks pretty boring. After having thought up nearly every possible mod from LED's to completly custom cases, I decided to go with the following.

I got this idea from an old tutorial I saw over at www.mnpctech.com on using an RC car wheel as a fan grill. SO after a quick run to Venture Hobbies (my local hobbie shop), I ended up with these:

They are 6.4 cm in diameter or about 2.5 inches, just small enough to fit on the back of the calculator. They may need another layer of chrome paint because the factory stuff isn't that clear or even, but deffinatly a good starting point.

As usual, any comments, suggestions, critiques are welcome. Also sorry if the pictures are alittle blury, my dad took our good camera to work today so I'm using our old one :p .

Rankenphile

Default Re: Calculatior Mod Version 3.0

Do you have an over-all plan for this? I'd love to see a plan schematic.

Looking forward to this, you always do good work.

As a side note, you could make a great tricorder out of that thing, lol.

ATX Mental Case

sweet now i can mod my TI-84 plus SE
    Comp Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 939 3200+
    ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
    2x 1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
    100GB HDD 7200 RPM SATA
    2x in SLI, 7600 GT 256 MB
    500W PSU

knowing from your first mod, this'll be good, but what exactly is your idea?

Ok, sorry I forgot to post my idea. I was out of school all last week and have quiet a bit of catching up to do, so I proboly won't work on this till the weekend.

Ok, the main idea is to mount the wheel on the back of the calcultor, and the repaint it. Paint the sides, back, top, all of it but aroun the keys black. On the black I want to paint on some tribal flames and then maybe install some LEDS under the wheel to get the rim to glow. Heres a quick drawing I made in photoshop to show how it should turn out. On the real one the flames will come up around the tire and maybe even have more coming off it, this should be good practice with my airbrush .

sweet, your calc will be the envy of all the other calculators in the room

Rankenphile

I'm not sure I understand - are you putting the entire wheel on the back, or are you cutting it down to a thin layer?

If your calculator were a person, it would ride a Harley and have a beard down to it's chest.

I'm going to cut in in half, I want it to stick off some, the rubber will also keep it from sliding when I'm typing, and prop it up a bit to see easier.

I've also got plans for another calc mod but it requires rebuilding about 3/4 of the case which I'm saving for later this year, but this is just a fun little something.

Rankenphile

That's kind of what I thought, Aero. Nice idea - propping it up like that plus having the rubber non-skid back. Clever.