Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Project: ZERO

Default Re: Project: ZERO

My little speakers came from a Toshiba Satellite actually.

No update on the build tonight.. just research, so I'll post something constructive tomorrow, when I actually.. um.. construct something.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Update coming this week!!!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Awesome. Can't wait to see it
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

It's hard to accomplish anything when the workshop is also the guest room, and you have house guests. Needless to say, I'm absolutely ITCHING to get back to work.

On a side note, I confirmed last night that my motherboard in my desktop machine (Asus P5GL-MX) is a piece of crap. After some weird video related issues, I investigated the board specs/updates/bios to try and sort it out.. it turns out that although there is a PCI-E x16 slot on the motherboard, funtionally it's limited to x4 speed. So I'm done fighting with it.. desktop is now strictly file serving/limited internet usage.

Here's hoping I can swing a deal at work and get that G71GX....

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Update!

2 complete DV 9000 laptops have come my way, both with completely failed motherboards. Why is this good? Well, the casings from both will be used to try and create a very factory looking enclosure for this project.

My goal with Zero is twofold... First, completely free (Zero dollar) build. Second, to make it appear as stock looking as possible.. as if HP actually built this unit themselves. The casings from the DV9000's will let me build a very smooth and factory correct looking enclosure for this unit.

I'm also planning on using the webcam from one of them, the touchstrip controls from above the keyboard, the bluetooth module, and hopefully some other bits to make some trim pieces.

Also, I'm still on the fence as to whether or not the speakers will be attached to the monitor, or free standing. Free standing would mean better sound since they can be positioned differently, but that also means more cable mess. Decisions, decisions...

Ive also decided to use the 250gb hdd in this project, and have some media stored locally, rather than strictly streaming from a network server. This gives me a bit of flexibility for location, or even for taking it with us when we travel to entertain the kids. (or the parents).

Since we'll have bluetooth in this unit, I'm on the lookout for a bluetooth keyboard/mouse (combo or separates) that someone might be willing to trade barter. OK, that's it for now.. hopefully some photo updates coming tomorrow.. band practice tonight!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

Luke!! How did I not notice this project before? Lookin good man
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Fresh Paint

O_o awesome! grats you deserve it. i was going to do something like this with a asus eee(laptop) cuzz i broke the screen.
    I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

congrats!

OMFG! I made front page?!

Yay!

(Disregard these.. I'm using them as placeholders for image uploads when I get home!)

OK, another update. A third dead DV9000 will be joining my pile of donor parts. With the 3 complete casings, I can build the enclosure I want now, and make it look goooooood.

(dead dv9000s pic, finished enclosure sketch)

I've decided I will keep the speakers separate from the unit, allowing me to move/reposition them as needed for better sound. The w2007 monitor has built in speakers, so if I need true portability, I'll just use the onboard ones. They arent great for music, but for regular media, they are plenty. The speaker enclosures will be manufactured from dv9000 cases as well, to keep the similar lines/finish so that they match the rest of the mod.

(Pic speakers, pic speaker sketches)

Also, all the LED's in the project are blue, so we've got some consistency there too.

(LED pics)

Since I'm going with the 20" monitor, I'll be able to fit the optical drive back there now, so we are GTG on that.

(layout pic, comparison to LCD)

As I mentioned, I'm going to try and re-use the webcam, bluetooth, audio jacks, IR sensor, touchstrip controls, microphone, etc.

(touchstrip pic)

The touchstrip controls will be top mounted, along with the power button. Ideally, I'd like to the power switch for the monitor to turn off/on both the monitor and the PC at the same time, but in the interests of moving this PC behind my LCDTV later, I wont do that. Plus, I'd rather not open my monitor and risk screwing something up. It's fine as is, let's keep it that way.

(audio jacks and IR sensor pic)
    (webcam pic)
    (microphone pic)

The webcam, mics, and audio jacks/IR sensor will be mounted below the LCD on the front, for easy connection of audio in/out. I thought about mounting behind, or towards the top (IR sensor would be better at the top I think, but it wont be easily removed from the PCB with the jacks, and I dont want cords hanging all over the place.. I must make this thing look clean!)

I'm still on the fence about the wifi. I have an Intel 4965AGN adaptor so I *could* use it with my N router, and probably stream 720p video from my server, but... I also have gigabit ethernet in a wall plate right behind where Zero will be located.. so...

(4965agn pic, house layout sketch)

I've considered doing some plexi/edge lit accent pieces too... these might make an appearance too.. we'll see.

(plexi + LED's pic)

More (plus pics) to come tonight!

Thanks so much for the feature!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/