Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for info on dslrs

Custom Title Honors Liquid_Scope_99's Avatar

Default looking for info on dslrs

My friend is wanting to get an entry level dslr and cheaper price i have been wondering about one myself here are the ones i found o na quick search at the egg in his price range .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-037-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-037-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-278-_-Product

The canon is the one i like but from my work logs you can see i ahve no photography experience whatsoever .
    I know there are several Pros and great no pro photographers here so any info appreciated that canon is about the budget limit for him thanks in advance

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Re: looking for info on dslrs

Get the Canon Rebel XS. It comes with better entry level glass (lens) than the Nikons comes with. I use Canon products every day and trust my livelihood on Canon. I have a few photog friends who use Nikon and unless you are buying their D3 pro cameras they all advise to stay away. The Rebel XS has a longer shutter life (actual not rated) and the processor it uses is about the fastest on the prosumer market. Tell your friend to get the XS, set it to M (full Manual) shoot with it for a year and learn the camera in and out. Then buy a few better lenses and maybe a shoe mount flash. The really cool thing about buying the Canon is that there is a whole forum dedicated to Cameras. Http://www.photography-on-the.net The guys and gals over there are about as friendly as they come and are willing to help anyone and everyone. My name is the same over there as it is here.

+1 on the Canon. I'm a bigtime Canon fan myself, and would pick that Rebel as well.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I have a d40, it's sweet. I do have a cannon point and shoot and it's cool too. Just research what fits your needs. photo.net, kenrockwell.com, etc.
    Please read the TOS regarding links in signatures. We don't take kindly to that sort of thing. -The Mods

I've got the Canon Rebel XS. Picked it up last year for Xmas and love it. I still haven't learned everything in and out, but I do enjoy it much more than a p+s. Waiting to get a chance to get into the dslr class at my college.

Just a couple pics a noobie took with it. All with the stock lens except the green SRT was taken with my 75-300mm from quite a long ways a way. All completely unedited; exactly as I shot them. No tripod. Just in the moment.

stock lens

stock lens

75-300mm

stock lens

A real photographer, and some editing skills, could push the XS and stock lens far past what I could do.

I've got the Canon Rebel XS. Picked it up last year for Xmas and love it. I still haven't learned everything in and out, but I do enjoy it much more than a p+s. Waiting to get a chance to get into the dslr class at my college.
    I bought that same camera for my ex-girlfriend years ago and LOVED it! It seemed like you had to actually work at it to take a bad picture. I was more sad to see it go than her.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    I bought that same camera for my ex-girlfriend years ago and LOVED it! It seemed like you had to actually work at it to take a bad picture. I was more sad to see it go than her.
    I'm thinking that you bought her the original Rebel or Rebel XT or Rebel XTI as they are 5, 4 and 3 years old respectively. The Rebel XS and XSI are both about a year to 1.5 years old.

Again I vote for the Canon. I have almost 5 years experience with Canon DSLRs and have invested enough $$ in bodys and lenses to buy a Mid level car brand new.

That's some good Bokeh going on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    I'm thinking that you bought her the original Rebel or Rebel XT or Rebel XTI as they are 5, 4 and 3 years old respectively. The Rebel XS and XSI are both about a year to 1.5 years old.

Again I vote for the Canon. I have almost 5 years experience with Canon DSLRs and have invested enough $$ in bodys and lenses to buy a Mid level car brand new.
    Yes, you are correct. It was the Rebel XT I believe.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    That's some good Bokeh going on there.
    Thank you. I've been too busy to really learn the camera, and the college course needs a damn speech course to take it, so I've just been learning as I go. Gradually learning what settings are better for what. Unless I am either really lazy or in a huge rush I set it to manual and take a few at different settings and try to learn what works better in what conditions. I really need to practice some more and really learn it in and out, as for the most part I feel lost and just trying to feel my way through.

Keep an eye out on Newegg as I picked my retail Rebel XS up for $350 with Free Shipping. Got a nice (at least to me) big bag for $19.99, a nice SDHC 8GB w/lifetime warranty for $12 or something, along with the combo deal that got the 75-300mm lens for like $30.

This is one lens under $100 that I have heard really good things about.