Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Monitor vs Television

Default Computer Monitor vs Television

Was wondering which would give a better picture and more appropriate for games/movies + some surfing of the internet.
    I was initially wanting to get a 2X inch TV for my second PC set up as compared to a 2x inch PC monitor having a mindset that a TV would do alot better. But some people were saying a TV wont give you resolutions as high as a PC monitor and am now quite confused as of what to settle for.
    Would really appreciate as much info and advise as possible. Thank you so much for reading this.

Default Re: Computer Monitor vs Television

720p televisions = 1280x720
    1080p televisions = 1920x1080

Standard Televisions = 640x480 (usually)

I have a 720p Sharp Aquos (37") in my living room, and use it to surf from the couch. Works great!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    720p televisions = 1280x720
    1080p televisions = 1920x1080
    /\ This. It really all depends on what resolution you want. For 2x" panels though, if you want high resolution (ie, WUXGA or 1080p), monitors are usually cheaper. If you are fine with a smaller resolution though (ie, WSXGA or 720p), I think TVs are usually cheaper.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by PuB_Evo View Post
    Was wondering which would give a better picture and more appropriate for games/movies + some surfing of the internet.
    I was initially wanting to get a 2X inch TV for my second PC set up as compared to a 2x inch PC monitor having a mindset that a TV would do alot better. But some people were saying a TV wont give you resolutions as high as a PC monitor and am now quite confused as of what to settle for.
    Would really appreciate as much info and advise as possible. Thank you so much for reading this.
    To use on the internet, you should really have 1080p screen because, at the close viewing distances for a computer monitor, you need the pixel density of a 1080p screen.

I would advise a computer monitor, because the 16:9 contrast ratio isn't ideal for computer viewing. If this screen is more for games/movies, then a 1080p TV should be fine.

Bear in mind that the TV will have a freeview tuner, speakers, and more inputs. However, you will have multiple TV inputs (HDMI etc) and probably will have less PC inputs (VGA etc).

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Personally, I'd go with a monitor and stick a TV tuner in the PC - then you get both without worrying about the image quality.

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

I just recently connected my PC to my new 42" 720p plasma TV and I absolutely loved it. I don't see paying the extra money for a monitor, and my next computer purchase will be another plasma TV.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    I just recently connected my PC to my new 42" 720p plasma TV and I absolutely loved it. I don't see paying the extra money for a monitor, and my next computer purchase will be another plasma TV.
    Christ, pixel density much? This is terrible advice, a 24 inch 1920x1200 screen has 8 times the number of pixels per square inch than a 42 inch 720p screen! Sure, it's fine if you're working 3 metres away, but otherwise, urgh!

Image quality is a factor of pixel density. More pixels on a snaller screen! Who the hell buys a 720p 42"....

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dr.walrus View Post
    Who the hell buys a 720p 42"....

That would be me.

And I absolutely love it. I thought the picture would be terrible as well, but from three feet away (that's feet, not meters), it looks just as good as my 22" monitor from a foot away at 1680x1050.

This is terrible advice
    So sayeth Dr. Walrus, thanks for the input.

a 24 inch 1920x1200 screen has 8 times the number of pixels per square inch
    And how exactly does this matter if you can't see the difference? Seems to me this is like using 10MP camera to take 8x10 pictures. If you can buy something that looks just as good for half the price, why on Earth would you pay the extra money? Unless you have money to throw away, in which case I bow to your obviously superior bank account.

My point being, *I* am extremely happy with this 42" 720p set, and I'll buy another when I can afford one. The OP asked a question, I answered it. I stand by it. Pub_Evo, when it comes time to buy, I suggest you try to find somewhere with a good return policy and try the TV. If you have bionic vision and the picture isn't good enough, take it back.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

And how exactly does this matter if you can't see the difference?
    I suggest you go and buy yourself a new pair of eyes

my 22" monitor from a foot away at 1680x1050
    12 inches away - wtf?!

If you can buy something that looks just as good for half the price, why on Earth would you pay the extra money?
    Hold on, your suggestion is about £600 at best. I'm suggesting something that can be bought for as little as £150. At that price, he could buy three of them and a new graphics card to power them too!

Seems to me this is like using 10MP camera to take 8x10 pictures.
    No, it's not. I'm suggesting a 2.4 megapixel (WUXGA) screen to make a 12" x 20" image.

You're suggesting a 1 megapixel image (720p) for... wait for it... that's right, a 20" x 36" screen.

I suggest you try to find somewhere with a good return policy and try the TV. If you have bionic vision and the picture isn't good enough, take it back.
    What an absolutely mental suggestion.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

*Ehem* Soo....how about this weather we've been having? I love rain but my neighbor hates it when it rains. Oh well, good thing he has a window he can shut when it rains, I like living in peace with my neighbor.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV