Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: OSIDIAS begins!

Default Project: OSIDIAS begins!

Well, here it goes guys. After more than a year of planning, I've decided to officially to start Project OSIDIAS. Granted, I still have other projects I'm still working on, but I don't want to delay this any longer. I can't promise daily updates, but I have a feeling you all will keep motivated to keep my work as updated as possible.

OSIDIAS will take everything I've learned from my Rogue project, and double it, in both scope and ambition. I've got some pretty unique things I'll be attempting here, and I've got no assurances that everything will work out as I've planned. That doesn't matter though, as I enjoy the challenges of problem solving on the fly. Even though at this point, almost every detail of the case is planned, there are still going to be things I decide to change. However, due to the way the case is designed, there are certain things that must remain set in stone. The overall exterior of the case and the carbon fiber shell for example.

So, where do we begin? Well, for those that may not have been following along up until this point, this video gives the best project overview. If you've got 20 minutes to spare, this should catch you up to speed.

Now, although this is the first official post of the project, I've only got a few pics to show you. Don't worry, I've got more incoming, but I this should get things started.

This case will be the first time I move away from aluminum as my primary construction material. There will still be plenty of it in this case, but I figured it was time for something more exotic. That's where carbon fiber comes in to the picture. Actually, carbon fiber, as well as a carbon fiber/kevlar blend. The carbon fiber will be placed around molds that I'm currently building, and them vacuum bagged. This is a proven technique for manufacturing, but the first time I'll be attempting it. There aren't many computer mods made from CF, let alone molded as in what I'm trying, but that's where the fun part comes in! I've got to give full credit to MKmods for his advice and input regarding working with carbon fiber. With any luck I'll not end up with a very expensive mess on my hands...

I mentioned having to make the molds, and that's where the following pictures pick up. Thanks to the help of my Romaxx CNC machine, I was able to accurately cut out a few pieces of the OSIDIAS core. These pieces will sit in the center, while an aluminum 'clam-shell' sits around it. After the carbon fiber and vacuum bagging, the idea is to push the center core out, and then remove the shell from the inside. This will leave a solid CF case, from which I will make the needed cuts.

Here are the blank pieces of MDF ready for the Romaxx CNC.

After the CNC cut...

And finally, I've got a stack of them.

Next up, we've got the core assembly!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowHunter
    dude, stop trying to create Skynet. at this point, the scale goes - metric tons of awesome < epic < overkill < you

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Project: OSIDIAS begins!

Woo! Finally it starts! I can't wait to see how that CF bubble-thing goes.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

YEE-HA!

Looking forward to this one, very much.

Goodluck

OMG OMG OMG OMG... I have been waiting for this day!!!

Can't wait to see this one unfold!

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

This is going to be good! This is now the second thread I have ever subscribed to.

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Woo! Finally it starts! I can't wait to see how that CF bubble-thing goes.
    Thanks mate! Well, I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Langer View Post
    YEE-HA!

Looking forward to this one, very much.

Goodluck
    Thanks Jesse! You know, you are partially responsible for this thing being made out of CF.

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    OMG OMG OMG OMG... I have been waiting for this day!!!

Can't wait to see this one unfold!
    Thanks! I've teased it's start for so long now, it's about time I follow through!

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    This is going to be good! This is now the second thread I have ever subscribed to.
    Wow, thanks! I'm honored to make your sub list!

dude, stop trying to create Skynet. at this point, the scale goes - metric tons of awesome < epic < overkill < you

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

this should be good! +rep and +sub

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    this should be good! +rep and +sub
    Thanks!

Are you guys ready for another update?

My last post left off with the cut MDF pieces for the core of the case. What I needed now was some simple way to fasten those pieces together, while still providing strength. I went round and round with possibilities until I decided on the following method. It all started with a trio of 22mm holes courtesy of the Romaxx.

Thanks to the CNC's accuracy and repeatability, I ended up with 6 pieces just like this.

With the first piece laying down, I tapped 3 sections of PVC pipe into the holes. The fit was just tight enough that there was no movement once in place, but taps with a hammer could still allow any needed adjustment.

Now finally, here is the assembled core. It's lightweight, yet very strong. The PVC pipe not only serves to hold the structure together, it also has a secondary purpose. Since the carbon fiber will be vacuum bagged, the pipe will allow for pressure equalization between the front and rear of the mold.

With the core done, I'll be moving on to the 2 part aluminum shell that fits around it. Thanks for reading!

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Great idea! That flat thingy around the bit on the Romaxx is new..is that a vacuum attachment?
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Excellent work!

I may have to contact you about just what that CNC can do...
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08