Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project: Whisper

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Project: Whisper

Looking good. IDK if you've secured it in place yet, but I think the front panel would look better if you shifted the mesh forward a little so it's flush with the front of the mahogany; it would make for more of a seamless front.

It looks like there is enough space in the ODD area that you could fit in a 5.25" drive; that'll come in handy if you decide to upgrade to blu-ray at any point
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

there is already several slim bluray drives available, so down the road he shouldn't have a problem with that.
    also you can always use a site to back up your blurays you already own directly to your computer

Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus Technochicken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Looking good. IDK if you've secured it in place yet, but I think the front panel would look better if you shifted the mesh forward a little so it's flush with the front of the mahogany; it would make for more of a seamless front.
    That is a good idea. The way it is now, I can not shift if forwards, because the mesh extends beyond the edge of the mahogany, so the edge of the mesh I cut is covered. But I might be able to do that if I bent the mesh at a right angle to fit on top of the mahogany. The only problem with that though, is that you can not really bend the metal in a perfect right angle- there is always a bit of curve, which would ruin the effect.

I'll keep thinking about it and see what I can come up with.

Looks great!

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mofo View Post
    there is already several slim bluray drives available, so down the road he shouldn't have a problem with that.
    Yeah, I know, but the cheapest slim blu-ray drive I've seen is ~$300, whereas the cheapest 5.25" blu-ray drive I've seen is ~$60.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

lookin good man, keep up the good work!
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

I've cut the slot for the CD drive. I am hoping to get switches for the power button and cd drive soon, because once I do that I will be able to put a clear coat over the wood, and screw in the the mesh. I also built a plate to screw the frame into the back, but I don't have a picture of it yet.

*Edit*

Just got these switches:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/10-Momentary-Pus...8#ht_712wt_939

they are not quite as good looking as the vandal resistant ones, but the are 10 for 10$, as opposed to 1 for 10$

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

nice work mate looks good
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon Had to gooogle it hehe.
    Best $16 ever, really like it, ultra compact, great ventalation, adequate air flow, lives up to it's name, looks great too with the 3 different colour tones, sweet little project mate , have some rep .

Finally another update. I had to cancel the order on the switches, because it did not ship properly, so I ordered some new ones from Allelectronics.com:

The motherboard only has 2 USB ports on the back panel, which will not do, so the next step was to add a USB header to the case. Also, the computer will be connected to the internet via WiFi, so I am building that into the case as well. Here are the parts for both:

Wireless card without caseing:

Here's the card mounted in the case:

Now, the wireless card is USB, and I do not want cables running out of the case to the back panel, so I decided to mount the USB header internally. This way I can plug in the wireless card and wireless mouse internally, eliminating the need for USB dongles sticking out the back.

I also needed a really short USB cable to fit internally:

Here's the WiFi and wireless mouse connected:

One problem I ran into is that the internal USB header has the lone pin on the opposite side as the internal USB cable I have, so I had to pull out the last pin and switch the place it was in. All I had to do was pull out the pin, drill out the blank spot, and replace the pin in the new hole:

That's all for now. Hopefully I will be able to finish this off this weekend, as I finally have all the parts I need.

Thanks for all the comments, and for taking a look!