Thread: Project - PayPhone

Fresh Paint

Default Project - PayPhone

I was talking to a friend at work trying to get ideas for a MOD, and he gave me an idea of building a computer into a PayPhone. It is not something that I have seem before and thought I would see what everyone else thinks.

This will be my first MOD.

I have most of the parts that I need, just need to find a way to come up with a Pay Phone....legally...lol

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Project - PayPhone

Now that I am looking at the Pay Phones on Ebay, I dont think they will work. I am taking the guts out of an IBM ThinkCentre M51. The motherboard that is in that is approx 10" x 10.5".

Anyone have any other ideas?

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Do you have to use that motherboard?
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    Do you have to use that motherboard?
    Yeah, I need to use these parts. Cant really go out and buy any new parts because I just got outsourced from my job...

Since this may not come together I'm going to move this thread into the idea zone for now, if you end up doing it just let one of us know and we can move it back to works in progress.

Since it sounded a bit like you are searching for theme ideas, have you flipped through this thread?
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Hmm, let's see...I think you're correct in thinking that your MBB would not fit into an actual unit. It'd definitely be possible with a mini-ITX or smaller though, but if that's not in your realm of possibility...hmmm

One thing you could do if make a payphone stand/enclosure, and build the PC into that..kinda defeats the purpose of it being in a payphone though..hmm, and you could hook up the phone part to the PC, and have it set up as a VoIP phone! Heheh, this is making me want to get one...maybe make it into a cell phone ..anyways, back to the original point, with the hardware you have, I think the only option would be to put most of the system outside of the phone, maybe in an enclosure something along the lines of this:

or this: