Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overload

Default Overload

You guys asked for it, so here it is. A worklog.

Case that started it all: Compaq SR1830NX

Take note of the crappy placement of the mesh venting.

I hadn't planned on a worklog, so you're missing a few steps. Flipped, chopped, and new top and front.
    Much more airflow!

Getting the window cut very quickly, with no regard to perfection.

The original rear fan grill cut out and filed.

The first filing on the window complete.

Needs some work in some places, but needs primer to be sure.

Note the oak support beside the motherboard tray. This keeps the tray flat against the side panel. A majority of the case structure had been removed so this was necessary to keep the tray from flapping in the wind.

Closer shot showing how much cleaner the edges are compared to the original cut.

Test fitting the smoked plexi with the door. This became a huge problem as the door slides on and the window was too large due to the funky mesh. This made it so I couldn't get the window on with the plexi in. ARGHH. Fixed it by cutting off all the metal slides on the side panel, so it now attaches more akin to an Antec 300.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Re: Overload

Looking sweet - have you considered trying to get some black fan grilles? I think it'd look really tidy and a great contrast with the light colouring of the wood!

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Oh, sorry if I haven't mentioned it. The case will be painted white, and have black accents.

The fan grills are only temporary, as I hope to make my own radgrill type grill out of aluminum if I can find a cheap supply. I just used them to get the fan holes lined up.

I picked up some primer at the hardware store. I found a good selection of socket cap bolts at ACE, but didn't think too much about what sizes I would need, as I haven't gotten my fans yet, so I didn't purchase any.

Having issues acquiring ~1/8 aluminum sheet/plate. Everything around here is very thin, almost flashing. I got a lead on a metal shop in town, so I will see if I can find them. If not I will have to deal with either plexi, or wood, and I'm not so comfortable with plexi. It just takes too much work to get an edge as clean as aluminum.

They had steel plate/sheet, but I am not that much of a masochist to do that, plus the weight.

Notes to Self:

-Don't like Valspar spray paints. Could just be this can, but the spray pattern isn't even, paint globs up at the tip, and it spatters too much for my liking. Chose it, as they had many choices for white topcoat.

-Remember to seal the edges of the mdf. Completely forgot before I started laying down thin coats of primer. Have to sand it down a bit and lay down some kind of sealer.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

maybe try mixing up a little fiberglass resin and brushing the edges of the MDF with it

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

Use the glue diluted with water method
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

I'm probably going to do the wood glue and water mixture and let it dry, then sand it down a bit. Cheap easy way that is supposed to work pretty well.

Trying to get decent days for painting is becoming harder and harder with the temps dropping and winds blowing hard here in New England.

1st prime on side panel.

Here you can see where I had to cut the feet off the case and make space for the 120mm fan. Remember the top of the case was once the bottom.

Sorry for the lighting here. It's night time, and the best place at the moment is in the kitchen area.

Remember the imperfections in the holes will be masked by the radgrill type grill I've yet to make.

You can see the lian li hard drive rack that is just sitting in there atm. I suppose that should be painted as well.

You can still see some texture in the mdf. I've got to figure out a way to make that go away, without cutting too far into the few fair weather days I've got left.

This is frustrating as I've got too much painting, and the days of being able to are disappearing. Small apartment + tiny balcony doesn't equate to being able to get a paint job like I want. Things get worse when I feel rushed to get the paint on before the temps really drop.

I wanted to get a quick look with some test hardware in so I can start to think of wire management and such.

Three Scythe Slip-Stream 120 slims make an appearance. $1.20 at xoxide.com ftw!

Remember, this will be smoked plexi.

A look from the rear.

Temp bolts and washers still making their appearances.

Test innards - the slim cd drive.

500W OCZ ModXStream modular power supply. $29 at newegg AR! This should be enough for the e5200, Gigabyte G31m-es2l, 8800GTS 320MB. After playing around with this power supply I do not think I ever want to touch a non-modular psu again. I never understood the big deal until this was in my hands.

I wanted my fangrill to be made out of ~1/8 aluminum sheet, but I can't find anything anywhere in this city. Will probably have to go with plexi. Either order a sheet of smoked to match side panel, or go with painted black. Ideas?