Thread: Review: Asus Eee Box B202

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Review: Asus Eee Box B202

A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=448]Review: Asus Eee Box B202[/drupal]

Welcome to my 1st review of the new year. Today I will show you the adorable little Asus Eee Box B202. This is Asus' Mini desktop, or Nettop, since they are primarily designed for surfing the net. You will soon see that you can do a lot more with this PC than just internet use. Click here for the complete review.
    Last edited by Oneslowz28; 01-09-2010 at 12:03 PM.

Default Re: Review: Asus Eee Box B202

Glad to see a review on one of these. I have been wanting to get one for my parents to replace their poorly functioning Dell. Plus they aren't computer people so attaching it the back of a monitor and minimizing their computer's presence on their desk is perfect.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Nice. I like that they're pushing out more nettops now, so that people who want more than a 9" screen can still get a crazy cheap computer easily and assembly free (not a problem for us here, but for a lot of people).

If you want something even cheaper, there's the Acer Revo AR1600-U910H for $200. It's got a lot more graphics power (nVidia ION), but unfortunately only a N230 Atom (I think the same as the 270 but without HT). Plus, it's got VGA and HDMI outputs...very tempting for an HTPC...if I had a TV
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

The new Asus Eee Box PC's come with Windows 7, HDMI and a few other goodies, although they're not released yet. You can pre-order from Amazon for $387 here.

People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Also the dual core Atom N330 and an ION. IDK though; at that point it's getting a little too expensive to put up with an Atom in any form...I mean, for that price I can build a mini-ITX system with a Phenom X3 8750, 4GB of RAM, an integrated GeForce 8200, and 320GB HDD. $200-300 they can get away with; $400, I think is too much for what they're offering, even if it is in a tiny box.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Also the dual core Atom N330 and an ION. IDK though; at that point it's getting a little too expensive to put up with an Atom in any form...I mean, for that price I can build a mini-ITX system with a Phenom X3 8750, 4GB of RAM, an integrated GeForce 8200, and 320GB HDD. $200-300 they can get away with; $400, I think is too much for what they're offering, even if it is in a tiny box.
    It wouldn't be as small or as low-powered, though. And $400 is just the starting price anyhow, they always lower in price after a few relatively short months. Every time new tech comes out that makes a decent leap and bound, it usually costs something a bit more for a short while, more than likely to make up for the research and development costs. But yeah, just have a bit of patience and it'll be back down at a more comfortable price as they saturate the market and start replacing the old models.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.