Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I iupgrade my Sound Card?

Default Should I iupgrade my Sound Card?

im currently using a crative labs sound blaster auidegy SE im thinking about an x-fi extreme gamer or x-fi titanium they bost cost the same on the egg but for the titanium you have to pay shipping what should i do?
    “10 years ago I was banging cheerleader left overs and defending quarterbacks. Now I get excited over a box of fans and some silicone. I'm pathetic...We AMD boys like our CPU's like we like our women. Hot and fast. Do I have a deal for you! Step right up to the CRAZY MAILMAN® Phenom II emporium! EVERYTHING MUST GO!

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Should I iupgrade my Sound Card?

Well, it depends what you want in a sound card. Personally I would recommend an Asus Xonar DX instead. I believe the biggest difference is that the Xonars have a sample rate of 192Hz versus the X-Fi's sample rate of 96Hz. This results in a much cleaner, clearer sound. Also, with the X-Fi's you mention, they are actually very different cards in terms of connections and interface, so it depends what you need. Here's a comparison of the Xonars and X-Fis below $100: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829132006
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

The X-fi's are 96KHz for 7.1 setups, 192KHz for 5.1 setups, newegg just lists the lowest number, which I can't blame them for. I love my x-fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional, though I've had some weird things happen, driver wise, when I switched motherboards. Suddenly the driver updater worked, and the advanced Dolby Digital and DTS output from the SPDIF options became available (very weird, but a welcome change ).
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Well, it depends what you want in a sound card. Personally I would recommend an Asus Xonar DX instead. I believe the biggest difference is that the Xonars have a sample rate of 192Hz versus the X-Fi's sample rate of 96Hz. This results in a much cleaner, clearer sound. Also, with the X-Fi's you mention, they are actually very different cards in terms of connections and interface, so it depends what you need. Here's a comparison of the Xonars and X-Fis below $100: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829132006
    i just want somthing that sounds better but i heard the sonars are better for movies and music
    “10 years ago I was banging cheerleader left overs and defending quarterbacks. Now I get excited over a box of fans and some silicone. I'm pathetic...We AMD boys like our CPU's like we like our women. Hot and fast. Do I have a deal for you! Step right up to the CRAZY MAILMAN® Phenom II emporium! EVERYTHING MUST GO!

Stereophile magazine reviewed the Asus Xonar Essence soundcards this month, and came to the conclusion that they are among the best of the best for music from a PC.

I've been drooling over the Xonar for awhile, so this just cements it. It's on the cover of the mag this month on newstands, but should be online in the reviews as of next month.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

I've had a XONAR for the last year and love it. Definitely worth the $100 I spent on it.

Bought a x-fi titanium fatal1ty pro series recently and it's an awesome card, I only got onboard sound to compare to tho. The only drawback is that Creative drivers are a bit "random".

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

I, also, intend to upgrade the sound card of my computer, but I am attempting to decide between either of these two sound cards here. Can anyone here offer their opinion between the two of them? Or, if a sound card from another manufacturer would be a better component, please suggest it to me, so that I may consider it (although I would prefer to remain with a Creative Lab sound card, if I can). The sound card must have a digital output and use a PCI-express interface, but, apart from those, I have no other requirements or limitations on what I shall use.

I also am hoping to upgrade my computer's speakers, as well, to take advantage of upgrading my sound card and truly experiencing awesome sound. My current speakers have only 2.1 channels and still use an analog connector, so I hope to replace them with speakers with 5.1 channels and a digital connector, but I have not seen too many of such speakers, and those that I have seen are very expensive. Therefore, are there any speaker modules with 5.1 channels and digital (S/PDIF) interface for no greater $200? If there are none, how about for no greater than $500? What assistance can anyone offer to me in that pursuit?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

The ASUS cards honestly are performing better, more compatible (as in don't cause ridiculous driver crashes) and simply sound better than the Creative offerings at the moment.

It really depends on how far do you wanna improve your sound. It sounds as though you're looking for positional audio, correct? Do your homework beforehand. If you want Creative, look at the Auzentech X-Fi cards. One other choice is to go third-party drivers.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

i had soo much bad luck with this.... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102021 first one right out of the box didn't work, exchanged and in two months it died, the refurb one has worked for almost a year now... lol but i love my asus xonar d2x, and will never go back, shown here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829132005
    Last edited by Cale_Hagan; 08-08-2011 at 04:14 AM. Reason: fixed link because im an idiot...
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all