Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: TBCS 5TB club

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: TBCS 5TB club

Yeah, there is definitely something to be said for well executed appended JBOD, but I like having a little having more control over what's actually going on. A well executed striped RAID (0,5,6,etc) will also give you a nice performance boost, which should increase as more drives are added....not the performance really makes much difference in my setup since I have a 1Gbps bottleneck at the network interface... It is much more of a pain to implement and manage a good RAID array, but I think it's worth it. Plus, since I use RAID-5, if any one drive in my array dies, I don't lose any data at all (assuming I get a new drive and populate it before any more drives fail). That's saved me a lot of trouble once already; I had one of my 1.5TB drives die a few months ago, and it was then that I stopped feeling bad about 'losing' one drive's worth of storage space (due to the RAID-5 parity)...it's a lot better to have to buy one more drive than to have to restore 1.5TB of data...if it's even possible to restore that data from another source.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Worth doing? Worth OVERdoing grevaeg's Avatar

<- want in the club!

Heheh, I was wondering when you were gonna show up, grevaeg. I've always wondered though; how do you have your space managed? (Also, I believe I said explaining that was a requirement ) I seem to remember you have the drives spread across multiple PCs in there? Do you have them network mounted and accessible as a single unit or what?

On a different thought, I think I might make a small sig art logo that can mark members. (I just have to come up with a good idea for it....)
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

12 disks pc 1 - Raid 5
    12 disks pc 2 - Raid 5
    12 disks pc 3 - Raid 5

All disks mapped on all 3 comps trough gigabit, screenshot will follow the day i decide to boot it up again

Currently using my laptop / htpc 0.o

I'm assuming that's a software RAID? What OS are you running on them?
    --Benjamin Franklin

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on all of em, and yup, its software raid, beside the sas drives thats running stripe on a lsi 3041 SAS controller, was running win 2k3 on the server for awhile, but i dont really need the functions it provide, can easily run media server's and disk mapping on windows 7, and the new backup tool is actually quite nice 0.o

Ghey Midget pRon on it. Adding several moar 2 terabyte drives as soon as I get the painted new case back for it

Hey guys can I join?

Hahaha, I have more storage than that on my phone! (Ok, that in and of itself is rather ridiculous...)
    --Benjamin Franklin

Haha, I know it's ridiculous. I really need to upgrade. I'm just waiting for a job.