Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is difference b/w Window and Linux...?

Default What is difference b/w Window and Linux...?

Hi friends..,

I want to know which is best b/w the window and linux systems.?

And which suits well for internet.?
    Check the TOS about advertising in signatures.

Default Re: What is difference b/w Window and Linux...?

it depends on how well versed you are with computers,

THe best windows is prob Windows XP or Windows 7,

The best linux is,,well there isn't one really, linux is linux, personally i like arch but thats all terminal and you have to build it all from scratch, but for ease of use you should use something like Ubuntu,

Windows is pripetory and unix is 95% open source, anything you can buy for windows you can get free on linux, BUT and this is a big but, sometimes you will need to use terminal in linux to peform certan tasks (A bit like using an old DOS window)

For ease of use i always recommend using windows if your not sure of what your doing, if you want to venture install windows, then install ubuntu using WUBI, always read documentation on linux.

Linux comes loaded with software but drivers can be an issue if your area dosen't allow the use of some pripetory software (Just say your in the UK and it will let you use everything)

Windows is easy to install software, donwload and install,

Linux is less prone to virus' (Not immune) but a good antivirus should keep you safe when using the net in windows as long as your not stupid and "CLICK THIS BANNER,,,yes yes yes ok" sort of person.

Personally i use windows on my machine with Ubuntu running in QEMU

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

I set someone up with Ubuntu on their laptop for surfing the net/e-mail/facebook and that's all they use it for. It's been 2 months now and no complaints or issues they've had with it. Also it was an older laptop and they said it was a lot faster to start then windows which is something they were looking for.

yea, if your just going to surf the net i would say use ubuntu, its easy, fast, has most if not all of the software you will need preinstalled,

and its very reliable

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

Speed.

I have an old Dell Inspiron 1200 craptop, yeah you read that correctly, craptop. It was the lowest end portable machine that Dell made when I purchased it and now it is worse because it is older. I have Ubuntu 9.10 installed on it and the linksys wireless card works with the broadcom driver installed.

I have a quad core, vastly more powerful desktop machine running Windows XP Pro. I had to go and edit the registry to get the mass quantities of unneeded junkware out of the tray. That improved the speed a little bit, but the old little Dell with Linux still seems to run circles around it to do simple things like run Firefox.

I'm still on XP because I need it for on-line banking, Quicken, and a few video games. I'm going to upgrade to something better (like a core i7) later this year and convert the quad core machine to a HTPC with MythTV. I will buy Windows 7 when I upgrade to the newer hardware.

It does take a little more reading to get your Linux machine just like you want it. Some of the Linux folks are really smug on the forums, but most of them have generally lightened up on their attitudes in the last few years.

ubuntu is great... if u dont want to game... and just use it for internet... games were designed for windows... u may get them to run... but they will never run as well as they would on a windows PC
    linux is great if u want to run a server... very stable (yes they r both linux... so the first applies to the second)

windows XP is the best in my opinion... just about everything is compatible with it.. (the only downside is the lack of DX10)
    windows 7 has nice eyecandy and is a 110% improvement over vista (but i still prefer XP)

and aslong as u know how to use the internet safely... u rly dont need to worry about a anti-virus.. if my computer (XP) ever seems to slow down.. i install malwarebytes... and 9 times outa 10... no virus

its entirely up to what u want to use it for
    and whether or not your ready to learn console

**edit**

for this.. ur looking mainly at the center and righthand side.. i find it amusing... but its also quite true
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

dude i love it!

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

And it depends on who you are; different people see and like different things

Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

hahaha! thats freaking classic. im stealing that. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

its all a matter of perception... except for vista... it is definitely flamboyant
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.