Thread: Painting: Template Material?

ATX Mental Case

Default Painting: Template Material?

Hello,
    This is my first time posting here. I have done some minor case mods before (basic spray painting, fans, etc...). Recently I have decided to go big time, i want to design a real fancy case. What I am having trouble figuring out is what i can use as a sutable template material. I want to use the tempate in a reverse painting fashion (i.e. peel the template off the top layer of paint to reveal the first layer of paint and the design). Vinal is an option, but i dont know about a residue that it might leave, or the cost. The other thing i though of was contact paper, but ive been told that leaves a mess (Though how cleanable is it?)

Basically i need something that i can cut out easly and that will stick to the first layer of the paint. That i can then paint over and peel off when done to reveal my design and clearcoat.

Any advice tips or suggestions will be much appriciated.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Chapel
    Hello,
    This is my first time posting here. I have done some minor case mods before (basic spray painting, fans, etc...). Recently I have decided to go big time, i want to design a real fancy case. What I am having trouble figuring out is what i can use as a sutable template material. I want to use the tempate in a reverse painting fashion (i.e. peel the template off the top layer of paint to reveal the first layer of paint and the design). Vinal is an option, but i dont know about a residue that it might leave, or the cost. The other thing i though of was contact paper, but ive been told that leaves a mess (Though how cleanable is it?)

Basically i need something that i can cut out easly and that will stick to the first layer of the paint. That i can then paint over and peel off when done to reveal my design and clearcoat.

Any advice tips or suggestions will be much appriciated.

Thanks!

Chapel,

First off welcome to the forums!..I really appreciate you signing up, and I hope you find your stay here fun and informative--!!

what you need for paint masking is called "Frisket film". It's basically a very thin, low-tack vinyl material that is very easily cut into intricate patterns with light pressure from an X-acto Blade. It's used for custom automotive painting, and also for fine airbrushing art on paper. Frisket Film
    Last edited by Crimson Sky; 03-14-2005 at 10:12 PM.

ATX Mental Case

Default Awsome!

Hey thanks so much, so my next question is that do you know where to purchase this product? Also any tipoffs for some good online modding stores would be much appriciated also.
    "It's time to prove to your friends that you're worth a damn. Sometimes that means dying, sometimes it means killing a whole lot of people."

Quote Originally Posted by Chapel
    Hey thanks so much, so my next question is that do you know where to purchase this product? Also any tipoffs for some good online modding stores would be much appriciated also.
    Double check the above he posted a link to an online retailer where you can purchase the product.
    Last edited by ZeD; 03-16-2005 at 05:58 PM.

Fresh Paint

I suscribe to the philosophy of using cheaper materials with extra care to achieve results almost as good as pro. For instance, for masking a design for paint, I've used masking tape or painters tape, in the 2 inch wie size. Ive used many strips lined up to make a sheet of tape, and use that for large design.
    Just thought, I'd let you all know that there are cheap alternatives to Frisket Film and vinyl for those on low budget. As llong as special care is put in, you can get nice results.

ATX Mental Case

Yeah i racked my brain over how to just use painters tape, and the only problem is saw is that this is text, and i would have to cut it on the case and i didnt want to scar the metal.
    Contact paper was my first idea but i herd that it would leave a nasty residue.
    "It's time to prove to your friends that you're worth a damn. Sometimes that means dying, sometimes it means killing a whole lot of people."

Umm Crimson left off you need to peel that off when the paint is still wet or else it'll be about 3x harder to remove, tho some paints are diffrent, espically those that like to leave little strings when wet to tacky.

You would want to experment with it on some scrap somthing another to get the feel for the paint your useing. Also normal blue painters tape works well for most things, you also might like what I have it's called 1/4" fine line tape 218 series by 3M