Thread: turning off a DVI port

Default turning off a DVI port

I have my desktop hooked up to my monitor and a TV, but when im not using the tv i dont want to have the computer thinking that it has 2 monitors. But i dont want to unplug the monitor every time. Is there a way i can just turn off 1 port when im not using it?

Default Re: turning off a DVI port

what operating system you running? You should be able to go to graphics options and edit your display output to what you wanna output.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Windows 7, The card is an Nvidia 9800 GT from EVGA.

In terms of a 'hotswap' - doing this without changing your display options manually or at least restarting your PC, I don't think there's a straightforward way of doing what you want

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dr.walrus View Post
    In terms of a 'hotswap' - doing this without changing your display options manually or at least restarting your PC, I don't think there's a straightforward way of doing what you want
    If you want to actually disable the card, then yes, this is correct. However, if all you want to do is make it stop displaying output on one of the monitor, just open up the display resolution control window, select the monitor you don't want to use, and uncheck the 'extend my desktop onto this monitor' box. Then, when you want to use it again, just go back and check it again. In my experience, Windows 7 is usually smart enough to remember what your settings were last time you had a specific group of monitors hooked up, and should automatically return the position/resolution/etc to what you had before.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

It can simply read the resolution off the DEV-ID info. No issues.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    However, if all you want to do is make it stop displaying output on one of the monitor, just open up the display resolution control window, select the monitor you don't want to use, and uncheck the 'extend my desktop onto this monitor' box.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.walrus

This is an old thread, but there is a way of assigning the extra monitor to a profile that you can just 'turn off' without wading into your display settings

http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon

just click a desktop shortcut assigned to a profile without the secondary monitor and it'll turn it off.