Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rit Dye PSU Cables

Default Rit Dye PSU Cables

I'm going to be dying my psu cables as I like the way they look as opposed to sleeving.

I could always just try it on an old cable, or a crappy adapter I've got lying around, but I was wondering if anyone had tried it.

My biggest question is for my modular cables, can I just toss the entire thing into the pot? Or do I need to remove the cables from the connector and protect the pins? If the dye won't affect the pins ( oxidize or anything) then why waste the time protecting the pins.

Will the dye affect the metal pins, or will it just rinse off fine and be good to go? No point wasting time if I don't have to.

EDIT: I will update with pictures soon. I just tossed the cable in and said screw it. The metal connections look fine. Doesn't look like it affected the metal at all. LOOKS SWEET! Dipping it again just to make extra coated on the lighter colors. Works on the connectors too!

Now how to figure out how to do the cables that are connected to the power supply. Have to rig up something when I do my 750TX.

Default Re: Rit Dye PSU Cables

works for tubing for water cooling

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...t=dying+tubing
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

I don't think dying the pins is a good idea. Even if they won't oxidize you'll end up with a layer of dye between the contact points, adding resistance.

Interesting idea.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

I can't take credit for it, I just wanted to try it.

Sorry for the crappy quality. No real light in here, don't have a photo area.

After -------------------------------------------Before

Before

After

The pins look exactly the same after as they did before I started. The dye only bonds to the plastics/vinyls. Some strategic black zip ties and I think it will work much better for me. This particular power supply has all cables sleeved, but a couple of my others do not, so that will help enormously with that.

I used the black bottle of RIT dye. $3.99. Should be enough to do a whole power supply. I boiled a pot of water. Added the water to a plastic lock'n'lock container. Eyeballed the amount of dye. Tossed cable in. Waited ~10 minutes, rinsed cable, and tossed it back in another 10. Could use another toss in but this was just my test. I will take apart my server and do the cables sometime along this next week or so when I get time, and post pics.

that came out really nice +rep for the idea, i would have bought black connectors instead.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Thanks. I can't take credit, as I've seen it done in a few places. I will leave you all with a teaser, as I couldn't resist doing the rest.

A pile of cables. Included are red and yellow sata cables. PSU molex / sata power. PCI-e power. 24pin / 4 pin/ 8 pin cables. The metal clamp is there until tomorrow when I can pick up some black zip ties and such.

All those cables were you're typical red/yellow/black ugly mix. I've got before pics of the htpc/file server's cable management, but I will post those tomorrow, as I am beat.

Wow.. those came out very nice.

Great work!

Looking forward to seeing them in the case.

Once again, sorry for the crappy pics. Two nights in a small apartment with some fluorescent lights and whatnot . . . . Didn't get it done in time for natural light.

Code:
    Specs: 

Antec Mini P180
    Gigabyte G31m-ES2L
    E5200
    8400GS Passive
    2+ TB local , 2+ TB backup

HTPC / File Server Before:

HTPC / File Server After:

Rear Cable Pr0n; I know you guys want it.

This turned out much better than I expected. I like this case much better than the Lanbox Lite it was in. Much cooler + quieter, and plenty of room for more drives.

This was all a test for my Corsair TX750 and BFG 650, and I can't wait to get some time to do those.

EDIT: The Intel cooler is just temporary, which is why I just used black electrical tape instead of taking the time to dye the cables. I took the CM Geminii out of here to run on my Q6600 while its in an Antec 300 while I prep to overhaul Project: Nightrain.

that looks awesome all in black. very "stealth".
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Thanks a ton for the idea, and proving it works.

Now to see if it works with other colors...
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08